Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Center Console Removal WriteUp

Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2014 Center Console Removal WriteUp

So I'm getting my interior Lined-x'd and can save $250 if I do the interior removal myself. Everything I've done on my Jeep so far has been easier than working on any other vehicle I've owned. Especially the seventies ones where it takes 20 screws to remove a single strip of plastic. And as I figured, everything came out pretty easily. I couldn't find any write-ups on the later year JKs center console so thought I would throw this up here in case anyone wants it. I decided to do the write-up after it was torn down so it's more of an explanatory guide.

Step 1: Remove the transfer case knob.

I read several threads and watched a few videos on how to do this. The one that ended up working for me was using a strap wrench.

Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10b_EzYbmxw#t=10

Step 2: Remove the (2) T30 Torx screws from the side rear of the console.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Console Removal 07 (Small).JPG
Views:	2065
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	561166

Step 3: Disconnect wiring harness. I have a basic rig so all I had on the wiring harness was the LEDs in the cup holders. The gray connector is under the passenger seat. Press the tab and pull out. You may have more than one connector if yours is fancy.

Name:	Console Removal 02 (Small).jpg
Views:	6137
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	561167

Step 4: I discovered this part by accident so you may want to do it differently but this is what worked for me.

Pull the ebrake all the way up.
Put the transmission in neutral. I have an auto.
Lift up from the rear of the console. I could tell something was holding it but wasn't sure if it was just push pins or not. I pulled a little higher and the whole front cup holder surround popped off. As you can see from the pictures, it is just held in place with 7 clips. Here's where you may want to pry the cup surround off instead, now that you have the benefit of my knowledge.

Name:	Console Removal 03 (Small).JPG
Views:	1886
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	561168Click image for larger version

Name:	Console Removal 04 (Small).jpg
Views:	1940
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	561169Click image for larger version

Name:	Console Removal 06 (Small).jpg
Views:	3196
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	561170

Step 5: With the cup surround removed, I found there are two more T30 screws holding the console base at the front (easy to spot). Once removed, the console can be tipped up from the rear and removed. Be careful with the front edge as there is a tab that is under the metal framing.

Last picture link: http://postimg.org/image/ou0cdif1n/

That's it. Enjoy.

Last edited by 14Sport; 06-22-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say thanks man. I bought a 2014 JKUR and have had it for about 7 or 8 months now... and the middle console LEDs, center console DC plug, and the center console 110v plug have never ever worked. I've tried to find time to get the Jeep into service, but they are always wayyyy behind (a week or more behind, currently 4+ weeks in my area) at the service department and it's never been that huge of an issue to wait that long.

Long story short, we're about to go on a road trip. I needed those damn plugs to work. I was just about to rip the whole center console out myself when I saw your post that mentioned the grey plug for the LED lights being located under the passenger seat. I pulled up the carpet under the passenger seat, and low and behold... the damn grey plug is in... just not all the way clicked in. It all works now, no console removed in the process. Thanks a ton man.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MortuaR
I just want to say thanks man. I bought a 2014 JKUR and have had it for about 7 or 8 months now... and the middle console LEDs, center console DC plug, and the center console 110v plug have never ever worked. I've tried to find time to get the Jeep into service, but they are always wayyyy behind (a week or more behind, currently 4+ weeks in my area) at the service department and it's never been that huge of an issue to wait that long.

Long story short, we're about to go on a road trip. I needed those damn plugs to work. I was just about to rip the whole center console out myself when I saw your post that mentioned the grey plug for the LED lights being located under the passenger seat. I pulled up the carpet under the passenger seat, and low and behold... the damn grey plug is in... just not all the way clicked in. It all works now, no console removed in the process. Thanks a ton man.
That's awesome! Glad I could help.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up.

Preparing to tackle the interior bed-lining myself. This will help.

I have a 2012 and have never seen cup holder lights. Have to go dig around and look for that grey plug.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LOST
Thanks for the write up.

Preparing to tackle the interior bed-lining myself. This will help.

I have a 2012 and have never seen cup holder lights. Have to go dig around and look for that grey plug.
My wife's 2012 doesn't have them.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking to install my cb antenna wire in the center console, can you tell me how the rear of the center console comes off above the rear cup holders?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry I removed the whole console and didn't remove that panel by itself. I thought I read that it just pulls of but maybe someone who has done it will chime in.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you
Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Found this.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...-mount-273334/
Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast