Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2016 steering has a thump when return to/past center.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
You can also get a good idea of what's loose with the tires on the ground. Leaving them down adds some stress to the components when you start moving the wheel, this is usually how I chase down loose steering components
Agreed. I'd leave it on the ground.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
You can also get a good idea of what's loose with the tires on the ground. Leaving them down adds some stress to the components when you start moving the wheel, this is usually how I chase down loose steering components
Exactly. Watch the steering components "load up" as the wheels turn back and forth. Bad joints, loose bolts, etc. all become readily apparent.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing you can do if you don't have a friend to help is use your phone and record a video.
Put the phone flat under as many components as you can at once and hit record, then hop in the car, wiggle the steering wheel. Rinse, Lather and repeat until all components are captured. This will work for steering linkage and trac bar but won't work as easily for ball joints

Quick Reply: 2016 steering has a thump when return to/past center.