Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.8 engine idle problems

Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.8 engine idle problems

So the other day i was driving my jeep and stopped at a stop light and when i went to accelerate i got a faint metalic bang as i shifted from 1st to 2nd no big deal always hearing weird noises continued to shift perfectly fine. But further down the road i came to another stop light and when i stopped and sat for a few seconds with the clutch pushed in the engine started to lug and my idle dropped to just under 500rpm and felt like it was gonna stall out but didnt stall out. When i finaly got home i tried to replacate the same rpm drop and it happend again. When this happend i was using my newish spare key i just had cut and programed at a dealership (dont know if it could be a coding problem with the chip in the key). i havent used that key since and its been running fine. Has anyone else had this issue before? Its an 07 6speed 2door on 33s with 3.21 gears with 115000 miles give or take
Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

With those miles, I would start by cleaning the fuel system, cleaning the throttle body, replacing the fuel filter, pcv valve, plugs and wires, and using some Mopar combustion chamber cleaner to remove carbon deposits.

Quick Reply: 3.8 engine idle problems