Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.8 jk low end engine knocking

Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 jk low end engine knocking

Worried the crank bearings are on the way out. I changed the oil pump and timing chain which did get rid of a strange tapping sound coming from the front. There was a bolt on the oil pan cover that had completely backed out so Im glad I got to that in time. I've tried pinpointing this noise using the stethoscope. It can be picked up loudest at the lower oil pan. When I Dropped the pan there was zero metal shavings in filter ,pan or pick up tube. Heres video clip
http://youtu.be/6aFXpe1qOOM Maybe I should plastigauge the mains. I was hoping it was flexplate but bolts are tight and I cannot see any cracks.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I should add it only happens when at full operating temp and cannot be felt or heard inside the jeep.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:22 AM
Former Member

Man it's a 3.8
Timing chain , oil pump , now lower bearings
Maybe it has a peanut allergy or lactose intolerance. Is it gluten free?
Might want to spend more time just driving it.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once had a Honda CRV that made that exact same noise immediately after getting the timing belt changed by the dealer mechanics. A few weeks later the engine was toast. :(
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Former Member

See what is now happening...3.8 being compared to j-scrap engine problems. Close the hood put it in gear and drive.
That engine might be a hypochondriac.
Google it kids
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 PM
JK Super Freak

When mine is cold, it sounds like its falling apart starting out. It makes funny noises, I have a weird thunk only when moving. Regardless of gear, RPM range, even in neutral. Just chalked it up to a Jeep thing and she's been fine. If I don't notice anything obviously wrong, I cross bridges when I get there.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Former Member

i don't have the time or shop space or money to be tearing apart an engine that gets me from point A to B just because it makes noises with no significant changes in performance.

Quick Reply: 3.8 jk low end engine knocking