Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine related issues at 50,000 Miles

Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine related issues at 50,000 Miles

So i guess I'm now joining the list of other forum members who are experiencing heavy oil consumption, water pump leaks, and knocks and ticks.

The reason I'm starting this post/conversation once again is mainly to receive the best advice from those who have had these issues and what their personal recommendations would be on how someone should go about trouble shooting and resolving the problems.

- I have a 2007 Unlimited sahara with 50,000 miles on it and I bought it used so no warranty.
- Out of the blue a month ago I check my oil at a 1000 miles since last change and I don't get a read.
- It ends up needing 5 quarts to show on dip stick.
- No leaks, plugs look ok and don't have any unusual smell.
- Ran it on a long trip with a lot of steep up hill climbs recently no water or over revs though.
- has a slight knock and tick at cold start that only lasts for 5 seconds.
- just changed oil pan and checked for blown bearings and nothing.
- I'm currently running 5w20 Mobile 1 synthetic and mobile 1 oil filter.

I have a baby coming in February and my company has been shady at best with surviving in this economy so even $2000 for a used block could be detrimental to our pockets. If there is any suggestions anyone can give to me so that I might keep this motor running for a couple more years please let me know.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also inspect your pcv valve. Those are getting pretty common on failing at around 50k. Its probably stuck open and sucking up alot of oil.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you needed 5 quarts of oil anytime between oil changes you must have some sort of serious engine issue. I would ask around your area for a good reliable mechanic that actually works with engines and not just brakes, etc. and have them check things over. I can see a quart between changes, but if you ran it at all with 5 quarts missing you damaged something. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Suge94
So i guess I'm now joining the list of other forum members who are experiencing heavy oil consumption, water pump leaks, and knocks and ticks.

The reason I'm starting this post/conversation once again is mainly to receive the best advice from those who have had these issues and what their personal recommendations would be on how someone should go about trouble shooting and resolving the problems.

- I have a 2007 Unlimited sahara with 50,000 miles on it and I bought it used so no warranty.
- Out of the blue a month ago I check my oil at a 1000 miles since last change and I don't get a read.
- It ends up needing 5 quarts to show on dip stick.
- No leaks, plugs look ok and don't have any unusual smell.
- Ran it on a long trip with a lot of steep up hill climbs recently no water or over revs though.
- has a slight knock and tick at cold start that only lasts for 5 seconds.
- just changed oil pan and checked for blown bearings and nothing.
- I'm currently running 5w20 Mobile 1 synthetic and mobile 1 oil filter.

I have a baby coming in February and my company has been shady at best with surviving in this economy so even $2000 for a used block could be detrimental to our pockets. If there is any suggestions anyone can give to me so that I might keep this motor running for a couple more years please let me know.
That happened to my jeep and it only has 10,000 miles on it. Im getting a new engine put in under warranty.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

So it's been 500 miles since the last oil episode and my oil reading hasn't budged on the stick. Idle is running smooth. I have a slow leak on the water pump so I'm replacing it tomorrow. I'll check for oil in the coolant and pull the PCV while I'm draining radiator.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen, not to this extent When I used mobil one synthetic, but when I changed back to Dino oil problem disappeared.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure it was a PVC valve. Also, the Mobil filter you are using had a sort of recall on them. I think it was a recall. In anycase, the engine would knock on startup as the oil had drained back out of the filter. I changed back to Fram and the problem went away. It has been documented somewhere about the Mobil 1 filter. Fact is I think there is a great thread here on filters...
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 08 went 4,250 miles between changes once, around 30,000. It drained a total of 1.5 quarts out. No leaks, no oil burning. I took it to the dealer after I changed it and they told me I probably didn't fill it up properly at the last oil change. I then told them THEY changed the oil last. Serious back-pedaling ensued.

I have a 2011 now.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

So swapped water pump. Started her up and have a weird vibration and temp is up higher than usual. I think the new pump is bad.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

07 Wrangler X 43k miles. engine died! had oil consumption issue thats started at 25k, left unchecked she was 3 qts low at oil change time, so i monitored regularly. then disaster, had topped off oil 5 days prior, at 4am coming home from work engine starts knocking nasty on hwy. i pull over and there no oil on stick! put 3 qts in (what i had in back) and the knock never left.. it sounds like the engine is gonna grenade :( :(

Quick Reply: Engine related issues at 50,000 Miles