Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4x4 failure on snow, car stuck.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
In the US we have the terminology the other way around: propellor or driveshaft connects transfer case to differential and axle shafts connect differential to the wheels
So the issue it has to be on the differential or the axle shaft (s)
Thank's
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Wrangler front solid axle is pretty simple. It will just free spin when there is no power going to it, but it will still be mechanically connected to the driveshaft. While driving, it will spin even in 2H. You should not be able to move the driveshaft with the front two wheels on the ground.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that something is broken inside the front axle housing. When you spin the driveshaft in 2H, something inside the housing is spinning whereas normally it would be connected to your wheels. Usually the U-joints are the first thing to go, then axle, then something in the carrier or ring and pinion. When you engage 4H, you lock the transfer case chain to the front driveshaft and it rotates under engine power.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
The Wrangler front solid axle is pretty simple. It will just free spin when there is no power going to it, but it will still be mechanically connected to the driveshaft. While driving, it will spin even in 2H. You should not be able to move the driveshaft with the front two wheels on the ground.
Even with the transfer case in 2H?

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
What everyone is trying to tell you is that something is broken inside the front axle housing. When you spin the driveshaft in 2H, something inside the housing is spinning whereas normally it would be connected to your wheels. Usually the U-joints are the first thing to go, then axle, then something in the carrier or ring and pinion. When you engage 4H, you lock the transfer case chain to the front driveshaft and it rotates under engine power.
Thank you very much.
Since the U joints are ok, the next step is to take out the cover of the differential, and check all the parts.

I have no experience with differentials, and what i looked for it was to, first undrestand and after for a solution, but unfortunatelly it is not a fast and simple one as far as i see.

It is pretty frustrating to see how the car sits in the snow and i can not complete my task and arrive were i am expected, and the frustration increases when i see there is nothing i can do.

Last edited by wrangie; 01-12-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangie
Even with the transfer case in 2H?

When your JK is in 2H, as the JK moves, the entire front axle system will spin with the tires; even the drive shaft. It will not be locked to the transfer case, however.

Some of the earlier Jeeps had a vacuum disconnect on the right front axle shaft. This would make it so the front drive shaft would not spin when the Jeep is moving in 2h.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When your JK is in 2H, as the JK moves, the entire front axle system will spin with the tires; even the drive shaft. It will not be locked to the transfer case, however.

Some of the earlier Jeeps had a vacuum disconnect on the right front axle shaft. This would make it so the front drive shaft would not spin when the Jeep is moving in 2h.
Ok, but after i select the 4H or 4L the driveshaft get's locked, i can not manually turn it anymore.

It moves only when it is in 2H, and this lead me to belive that the transfer case is working fine and the issue has to be related to the front differential, since the U joints are ok.

The Sport variant i got doesen't have any differential loocking capability, like the rubicon does, but no front wheel is spinning (not even one) no matter what i selelct on the transfer case.

Apparentlly it's not an easy fix so..

Frustraiting
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep you have a front axle problem. Since your stuck, have some body watch the front drive shaft. I bet it's turning when you have it in 4high.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Longlegs
Yep you have a front axle problem. Since your stuck, have some body watch the front drive shaft. I bet it's turning when you have it in 4high.
I did ask my friend to drive it nd i observed that only the rear wheels spin, no matter what selection the transfer case got, 2H,4H or 4L...
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Well, an short update.
It turned to be the front left propeller shaft wich is broken.
The dealers doesen't have it on stock, i have to wait for it a couple of days,they told me is part no: 68004081AA

To prevent in the future i m looking to upgrade the front differential with a locking capability.
I think this happend because the differential distribute all the power, under the extreme slip condition as the snow, to the wheel who freely spin.If i had that capability to lock the diferential (at least the front), the power were equaly distributed and less presure on that wheel - axhel shaft.

Any recomandations will be appreciated.

Thank you all for the support!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would strongly recommend the Eaton/Detroit TruTrac mechanical limited slip. It is a traction device that works extremely well and is not a clutch type that wears out. I don't know what the cost to ship this in would be for you, in the USA it would cost around $550-$650 to get one unit. You can use one in the front differential and one in the rear differential.

Detroit Trutrac Differential, Helical Gear Limited Slip Differential - Vehicle - Eaton
Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The axle shafts are pretty hard to break on stock tires. A high speed wheel spin on snow and ice could potentially do it, but you would probably have noticed. Chances are if you haven't hear any grinding or metal on metal sounds the thing was broken when you purchased it and has had plenty of time to wear down. A locker would be a great idea but it isn't going to prevent it from breaking.

Quick Reply: 4x4 failure on snow, car stuck.