Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4x4 failure on snow, car stuck.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, idid't hear anything beside the struglle noise of the car tryng to get out.
The 4H has working, i feel it al that day and even before i got stuck, that s no question about it.
The shaft must be collapsed when i try to get out.

I will look forward on the Eton differentialls too, i want to know any thoughts and insides over the lockers (electricall or air), over theire compared reliabillity, prerformance and cost.

I really think now that a locking capabillity will prevent a shaft break in similar condition.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having run the Detroit TruTrac Limited Slip previously.... and a ARB locker up front; the LS has better road manners and would probably work better with the onboard computer controlled Brake Lock differential system.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

You were particullary satsified over the ARB locker?It is reliable?
I also want to lift it but don't want to compromise the Jeep stability over the highway at all, or at minimum as possibile.
Any reccomandation on this too?
A 1,75 -2 inch lift kit will do the dew?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

As mentioned installing lockers is not gonna prevent you from breaking axle shafts (and its called axle shaft, or half shaft, not propeller shaft) Avoid giving too much gas while the wheels are fully turned. Sudden traction while the wheels spin can snap axle shafts in a hurry. Avoid hopping when you loose traction.
I learned the hard way on my other JKU......and I had lockers then too.

Last edited by gohard; 01-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Other's say they never belive that the shaft could broke on snow tranction, but that's was the case.
It collapsed, it is iron after all and you never know when it breaks.

I keep receiving nice feedbacks about the Eaton Detroit Truetrack's so i guess i ll stick with one of them.

To save the driveablility for on road driving also i think to lift the Jeep max. 2 inches, i founded a polyurethan kit with longer isulator extenders and bump stopers but it does not include any shock extenders or longer swaybar links.

My question for you, all the Jeep's guru outhere...Are the shock extenders and longer swaybar links a must, or i can lift it withouth them with no problem?

Thank you again everybody for the great support.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	664475  

Last edited by wrangie; 01-14-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrangie
Other's say they never belive that the shaft could broke on snow tranction, but that's was the case. It collapsed, it is iron after all and you never know when it breaks. I keep receiving nice feedbacks about the Eaton Detroit Truetrack's so i guess i ll stick with one of them. To save the driveablility for on road driving also i think to lift the Jeep max. 2 inches, i founded a polyurethan kit with longer isulator extenders and bump stopers but it does not include any shock extenders or longer swaybar links. My question for you, all the Jeep's guru outhere...Are the shock extenders and longer swaybar links a must, or i can lift it withouth them with no problem? Thank you again everybody for the great support.
I run a 2" poly spacer on mine with shock extenders. As far as the sway bar links you can buy the factory length rears very cheap and they fit perfectly on the front with 2" of lift.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
I run a 2" poly spacer on mine with shock extenders. As far as the sway bar links you can buy the factory length rears very cheap and they fit perfectly on the front with 2" of lift.
Michaell, i ve noticed that on 2 inch coil spacers kit's that some producers includes either sway bar extenders, either longer links (9,5 inch)
Just to make sure now, are you suggesting to buy the longer rear links and to install the old one on the front?

Also please also give me some feedback..how it feels in terms of driveability, especially in corners and in relatively quick high speed turns..on roads..highways..is there a difference before and after?

Cheers
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, I'm saying the rear ones will be fine as they are but you can buy another pair of stock length rear and instal them on the front.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend quick high speed turns in any jeep, but with the shock extensions it basically feels same as stock.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangie
You were particullary satsified over the ARB locker?It is reliable?
I also want to lift it but don't want to compromise the Jeep stability over the highway at all, or at minimum as possibile.
Any reccomandation on this too?
A 1,75 -2 inch lift kit will do the dew?
The ARB is a selectable locker and requires more labor for installation. The only time I use the one in my XJ is in the most technical of obstacles or while climbing a steep rock hill when the dirt is loose beneath my back tires. The TruTrac is a great LS which only requires a slight bias of tire spin for the traction device to engage. While off road if needed... you can lightly tap your brakes and this will engage the traction device. On the highway the TT has great road manners and only engages when needed.

Quick Reply: 4x4 failure on snow, car stuck.