Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor replacement

I replaced my front driver side wheel speed sensor last night on my 08 wrangler . Not hard, but time consuming. However, when I had the sensor out, I could see a lot of junk inside the hub bearing assembly. Spinning the hub, some of it looked like a toothed ring, but there there was areas with nothing there and other spots where it completely covered the opening for the sensor. I lined up the sensor hole with an opening and reassembled the wheel, however my lights are still on.

Any thoughts on what is inside the hub? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere of what the inside the hub should look like. The bearing felt OK when I mounted the wheel.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Trauma
I am yet to resolve this problem.

I changed the front and rear left side sensors to no resolve. In the process I even broke the plug on the wiring harness in the rear so that's gonna set me back $50 for just the part.

Should I just take it to the dealer and bite the bullet? I'm tempted to replace the entire ABS module but for all I know it's something small and I'm wasting my time and money.
I broke mine as well. Where did you find a new connector?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvanslycke
I replaced my front driver side wheel speed sensor last night on my 08 wrangler . Not hard, but time consuming. However, when I had the sensor out, I could see a lot of junk inside the hub bearing assembly. Spinning the hub, some of it looked like a toothed ring, but there there was areas with nothing there and other spots where it completely covered the opening for the sensor. I lined up the sensor hole with an opening and reassembled the wheel, however my lights are still on.

Any thoughts on what is inside the hub? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere of what the inside the hub should look like. The bearing felt OK when I mounted the wheel.

Thanks!

Joe
Sounds likes your hub is failing and there is debree in the hub. I broke my sensor a couple of months ago when I did my ball joints. After removing the sensor you should only see the sensor ring with the splines maybe some grease that's it.

Quick Reply: ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.