Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AC - condensation dripping out of vents

Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC - condensation dripping out of vents

Anyone else have issues with moisture dripping out from the vents when the air conditioning is on? Looks like there a condensation build up in the center passenger side vent on the dash. It drips to the point that anything on the floor under it will be wet. Definitely not "normal"

this is on my 2014, BTW

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is it dripping from the vent and running down the dash or are you just noticing a little moisture on the vent and then on the floor are puddles of water? if the evaporator core drain is clogged or disconnected you will get very wet floors in your jeep...

I run my A/C with the top and doors off all the time, I get lots of water on the vents and occasionally a little water runs down the front of the dash and drips on the floor but thats only when ive got it set cold, its extremely humid, and the jeep is Open..

My A/C is Modified to be colder too which causes it to create more water than normal and I still dont have puddles on the floor..

-Christopher
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
is it dripping from the vent and running down the dash or are you just noticing a little moisture on the vent and then on the floor are puddles of water? if the evaporator core drain is clogged or disconnected you will get very wet floors in your jeep... I run my A/C with the top and doors off all the time, I get lots of water on the vents and occasionally a little water runs down the front of the dash and drips on the floor but thats only when ive got it set cold, its extremely humid, and the jeep is Open.. My A/C is Modified to be colder too which causes it to create more water than normal and I still dont have puddles on the floor.. -Christopher
how is your A/C modified to be colder????? I have a 2015 and I'm very curious when you say it's modified to be colder especially since I live in SOCAL and it's hot as hell down here. And I have a baby in the back seat so a colder inside would be very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

on my 2013 my Compressor cycled out before the air was very cold at the vents... originally I used a resistor to fool the computer into thinking the evaporator temperature was just slightly warmer than it really was, the A/C would continue to run...

occasionally I could still freeze it up as Jeep uses the outside temperature to partially affect compressor cycling..

I then built a Micro-controller board that takes the coil temperature at inlet and outlet, as well as measures the air-stream temperature... and I modify the voltage return sent to the computer so that the evaporator can be kept at just above freezing at all times...

I did it the simple way, dallas 1 wire temp sensors as inouts in Low-res mode are fast enough... and a DAC using the computer supply voltage as Vdd...

Most of its code is in Zbasic.net since thats the Micro and firmware I chose to use (Atmel 328)

Made the board fit into a Raspberry pi case so its simple to Tuck up under the dash... runs on 12 volts which there's plenty of in a car..

in SoCal your compressor may never cycle out so my mod may not do anything for it...

in the past ive experimented with different refrigerants in cars and had good success in getting ice cold A/C as well... but for me here in Ohio the A/C has plenty of capacity... chrysler just wouldnt let it run long enough... im guessing its an MPG / emissions thing....

-Christopher
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
is it dripping from the vent and running down the dash or are you just noticing a little moisture on the vent and then on the floor are puddles of water? if the evaporator core drain is clogged or disconnected you will get very wet floors in your jeep...

I run my A/C with the top and doors off all the time, I get lots of water on the vents and occasionally a little water runs down the front of the dash and drips on the floor but thats only when ive got it set cold, its extremely humid, and the jeep is Open..

My A/C is Modified to be colder too which causes it to create more water than normal and I still dont have puddles on the floor..

-Christopher

It is heavy condensation on the center passenger side vent only that drips down the dash onto the floor. Have had it happen with the top on and off. No moisture from the other vents.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

sounds like some type of air leak there.. or the vent is closed most of the way so its a nice cold flat surface for water to accumulate on.. My vents only get wet when something is open.. my passenger vent if its closed or mostly so definitely gets pretty wet..

-Christopher

Quick Reply: AC - condensation dripping out of vents