Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

AC not cold, and sqeaks when on

Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK yeti
Does anything look wrong here? It looks torn up on the edges..
Looks like a classic ..compressor locked up and spun the clutch apart...

when you said you could tturn the center by hand when the jeep is turned off.. could you turn the absolute center.. (where the 3 bolts in a pattern are).. or just the center clutch ring?

the center hib should be one piece.. that rubber part shouldnt be separated..

-Christopher
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
Looks like a classic ..compressor locked up and spun the clutch apart... when you said you could tturn the center by hand when the jeep is turned off.. could you turn the absolute center.. (where the 3 bolts in a pattern are).. or just the center clutch ring? the center hib should be one piece.. that rubber part shouldnt be separated.. -Christopher
So if that's the problem what's the next step? Can I replace the clutch or do I need to replace the compressor too?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

it all starts with what is spinnable by hand and what isnt..

if the very center with the 3 shiny "bolts" doesnt spin at all by hand.. (even stiff) then that compressor is bad.

otherwise if it does.. you have a shot at just replacing the clutch. I havent had to replace just a clutch in a while but often the auto parts stores like orelly and autozone stock the compressor with clutch but not the clutch by itself.

as for replacing the compressor.. you need to have vacuum pump, gauges, and the like to properly recover the refrigerant, evacuate and recharge the system.. sometimes when a compressor goes bad, the "graphite" parts in it get "ground up" , mic wit hthe oil and cause a goo that has to be flushed out with refrigeration flushing agents.

if just the clutch is bad that usually can be replaced without touching the refrigerant circuit.
-Christopher
Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it sounds like I'm going to have to take it to a shop:( As much as I'd like to do it myself I think this is a little out of my skill level lol
What's it usually cost to get a compressor replaced at a shop?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not sure on the cost at a shop..ive always done my own,

dealer will be the worst.. but any Shop that advertises A/C service should have the proper tools to do it the right way. hopefully its just a broken clutch as that isnt too big of a job to change on most cars.

-Christopher

Quick Reply: AC not cold, and sqeaks when on