Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adding a 12v outlet?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wjducham
Bonus!!!
TIPM alert! It won't read unless you flash the TIPM and tell it that the outlet is there. Ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks. Just run it off the battery.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, were you able to install everything "plug and play" except for the programming? What about the outlet button on the dash where the ESP button is? did you install it?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
So, were you able to install everything "plug and play" except for the programming? What about the outlet button on the dash where the ESP button is? did you install it?
Yes. But I installed it in the console under the latch where it locks. It was kind of a b*tch to wire. I had to pull off my shifter knobs, and remove the center console which is installed in 2 pieces. Then run the wire into the cigarette lighter, 2 cupholder lights and the 115v outlet. Then tack it in a few spots as it runs down under the passenger seat. It actually plugs into the main wiring system on the outside underneath the passenger seat. Had to pull back carpet etc. They didn't make it easy. But as far as that goes, plug and play. Just need to flash my computer for another $100 and should be good to go. If I knew, I would have just run a wire from my battery. But this isn't ghetto rigged. No spliced wires, no tape, etc. Just like it came stock.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Im working on the same project. Ill post up when complete. 12v socket on constant, USB on 12v switched. Daystar lower panel to hold it all. Looks factory. Ill post a finished pic when completed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-203364555.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	581380   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2725908003.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	581381  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A'sJK
Im working on the same project. Ill post up when complete. 12v socket on constant, USB on 12v switched. Daystar lower panel to hold it all. Looks factory. Ill post a finished pic when completed.
That looks good. I was thinking about the same thing but in the power window switch cubby (since I don't have power windows). I like the daystar panel. Looking forward to the final install pics.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you planning on tapping into each power source?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Where are you planning on tapping into each power source?
Using the quadratec tap from the switched 12v cigar lighter for the usb. Straight from battery with proper fuse / wire size for the constant 12v socket. While installing cupholder leds over the weekend I looked at tapping or relocating the center console 12v constant plug. I decided against it because taking apart the rear portion of the center console was a bastard. Im waiting on one small piece to come in the mail before I get to actually do the project. For now just gathering parts and scheming. ...sidenote the leds look great...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-921735702.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	581715   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-307597503.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	581717  

Last edited by A'sJK; 10-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the quadratec tap from the switched 12v cigar lighter for the usb. Straight from battery with proper fuse / wire size for the constant 12v socket. While installing cupholder leds over the weekend I looked at tapping or relocating the center console 12v constant plug. I decided against it because taking apart the rear portion of the center console was a bastard. Im waiting on one small piece to come in the mail before I get to actually do the project. For now just gathering parts and scheming. ...sidenote the leds look great...
Thanks! With the CANBUS one just can't slice in anywhere anymore.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Do you mind sharing where you got those cupholder LEDs?

Quick Reply: adding a 12v outlet?