Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Advice about Transmission

Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice about Transmission

2012 JKU automatic transmission. Was cruising interstate the other day and a tranny hose came loose and sprayed the fluid out everywhere. No loss of power, warning light or anything, just smoked like the back of the jeep was on fire. Quite a sight. Of course when I stopped, it wouldn't shift out of high gear. Nursed it to a parking lot and towed it. Dealer replaced hose and did a full transmission service. Said there was some debris in fluid but not enough to worry him. Picked it up, drove fine home. Next day drove 2 miles to work, no problem. Later driving about 20 miles, started to hear whine/rattle underneath. Stopped to look under but no leaks. Then wouldn't shift back into gear. Killed engine, waited a minute and restarted and it would shift into gear, but still making noise. Had it towed back to dealer. The tech said it sounded like the torque converter going bad. Does that sound right? Since I was driving at 70mph when the hose blew I'm afraid something, clutch, bearing etc. might have gotten messed up, but wouldn't the tech have found that the first time? They told me I was 100% good to go after the hose replacement. Also, no one at the dealer could explain why the hose came out of the fitting. They said they didn't see that very often. What kind of failure might cause that. I guess I'd rather replace the transmission than keep doing trial and error part replacement at several hundred dollars a try. And of course, one month out of warranty. Only 80k miles though. The jeep is a daily driver and trail 4 wheeling during hunting season.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sucks to hear your issue with the transmission.

As for the torque converter going out I can see that. The torque converter is full of transmission fluid and if you ran the transmission out of fluid, there is the possibility of the torque converter going bad or the transmission.

As for the hose popping off not sure other than the swedge fitting failed.

I would ask if your transmission is covered under the 100,000 power train warranty. If so you should be good. If the dealer says it is not I would start shopping around for a transmisison shop in your area like Aamco or local shop. Might save you some dollars.

Will be following to see the resolution.

R/
Will
Old 04-05-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. Was told the Torque Converter was bad and two clutches bad. Given option to rebuild or install new transmission. Appealed to Chrysler for help since so close to warranty, but they refused. One Chrysler rep told me the Torque Converter is not part of the Transmission which I guess is a technicality, and they ultimately said the damage was not caused by the hose failure. Anyway, I'm going ahead with a new transmission rather than just replacing the Torque Converter and the two clutches and then having to fix something else later.

Quick Reply: Advice about Transmission