Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

annoying clunk...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the tape also and didn't notice a difference. I also moved the striker bar in a little hoping it closing tighter would help but it didn't. I recently had the hardtop off and after putting the top and freedom panels back on the clunk is gone. That leads me to think there's something to the idea of things being misaligned and clunking during flex. I always thought my noise was possibly in the soundbar area. Maybe the order it was tightened down has something to do with it.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ??

Originally Posted by ugmw177
ok guys, it took the dealer all day to isolate the noise. Turns out it was where the roll/sport bar it attached to the A pillar/windshield. Factory misaligned it slightly and did not torque down the bolts so as i reached 1500 miles or so they loosened slightly and the misalighnment would produce a popping/clunking noise as the body flexed. Dealer re-aligned and re-torqued the fastners--Quiet as a library inside again :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

of where your talkin about just incase any one develops one they cant find
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
of where your talkin about just incase any one develops one they cant find
yea a photo would be great, ive been chasing a clunk for a while.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i will try to take a photo of the area shortly and post it. In the meantime, the tech had to remove the upper corner A pillar trim [remove the sunvisor and one plastic clip then pull down and the trim piece comes off. THere are three 13mm headed bolts that attach the roll bar to the windshield [upper A pillar]. They loosened them and slightly shifted the roll bar windshield connection then retorqued the three bolts and reassembled the trim. knocking clunk gone. If you suspect the area, loosen the three bolts a bit [can do it without removing the trim] then drive and see if clunk is gone. If so, reposition a bit or add a small shim then re-tighten.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

update. here are two photos of the A pillar bolts and location after removing the corner trim and sunvisor

Also the noise returned the other day. I took it back to dealer. the determined the bolts holding the sportbar to the B pillar were also loose. THey had to remove the hardtop and bar padding re-torque and replace all. It is very quiet now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jkuapillar2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	638598   Click image for larger version

Name:	jkuapillar.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	638599  
Old 02-23-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a thread on here somewhere. Forget the tape. Get a can of WD-40 with a built in straw. Spray the door locks on all doors form the open side. You don't have to undo anything just spray the locking mechanisms. Up down and all over.

This should work I had the same problem on my 08 and that cured it. May need to re spray once a year.

You should be able to remove the tape.

good luck
Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the Thread on pillar rattle.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-pillar-37806/
Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great !

Originally Posted by ugmw177
update. here are two photos of the A pillar bolts and location after removing the corner trim and sunvisor

Also the noise returned the other day. I took it back to dealer. the determined the bolts holding the sportbar to the B pillar were also loose. THey had to remove the hardtop and bar padding re-torque and replace all. It is very quiet now.
Good to know , Good luck .

Quick Reply: annoying clunk...