Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another misfire post

Old 03-17-2015, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I broke down and took it to the dealer, bad news, they say coolant in #1 cyl. Pressure test cooling system and it loses pressure and cyl 1 gets wet. Head gasket or head, with my luck it's a cracked head.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Any update? Did you notice any coolant loss before you brought it in...

Was it a cracked head or just the gasket?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dropped it off yesterday, first apt. Available, haven't heard anything yet
Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: I should've mentioned that I took it back to my local guy, he was much cheaper than the dealer. I went out of town for the weekend so I checked on it today. He told me that what the dealer told me sounded fishy to him so he pressurized the cooling system and it didn't lose pressure over night, he also pulled the intake and spark plug and did not find any coolant in the cylinder at all. So he thinks the dealer didn't even look at it. He put it back on the scope and he can see the ignition signal for #1 is erratic so he's thinking PCM since we've replaced everything else. He ordered one and told me if it didn't work I didn't owe him anything but if it did I just owed for the part and time. It's supposed to come in tomorrow so we'll see what happens. He also told me if it doesn't work he's done, doesn't know what else to do and he doesn't want to pull the head.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 Rescue Green
UPDATE: I should've mentioned that I took it back to my local guy, he was much cheaper than the dealer. I went out of town for the weekend so I checked on it today. He told me that what the dealer told me sounded fishy to him so he pressurized the cooling system and it didn't lose pressure over night, he also pulled the intake and spark plug and did not find any coolant in the cylinder at all. So he thinks the dealer didn't even look at it. He put it back on the scope and he can see the ignition signal for #1 is erratic so he's thinking PCM since we've replaced everything else. He ordered one and told me if it didn't work I didn't owe him anything but if it did I just owed for the part and time. It's supposed to come in tomorrow so we'll see what happens. He also told me if it doesn't work he's done, doesn't know what else to do and he doesn't want to pull the head.
Ask him if #1 is erratic, why isn't #4 erratic, too. They always fire together, (wasted spark).
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ronjenx, I'll mention that to him tomorrow and see what he says.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I swap #1 & #4 ignition wires at the coil, they should still fire correctly, right?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

If I swap #1 & #4 ignition wires at the coil, they should still fire correctly, right?
Yes.
If it doesn't, my understanding of wasted spark ignition will circle the bowl and disappear.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ronjenx, do you have any suggestions on where I should look next? I am so close to resetting the check engine light and trading it in.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Ronjenx, do you have any suggestions on where I should look next? I am so close to resetting the check engine light and trading it in.
If your mechanic is still willing to replace the PCM at no charge if it doesn't fix it, let him do that. It is one of the items on the list of possible causes.

Is it still true that it misses after start up, and straightens out in a few minutes? If so, keep eliminating items off the list of possible causes. It won't hurt to drive it, since it spends more time running well than running with a misfire.
Concentrate on those items that may be engine temperature sensitive.

Quick Reply: Another misfire post