Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another misfire post

Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a new balancer fix your problem?

I finally tripped another p0300 code after months of studdering... Guess I'll be going through that list one by one this summer.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for asking, it did not fix it. As a matter of fact, the service guy went out with me to start it up and it was missing pretty good. I told them I was going to leave it, haven't heard from them since (it's been almost a week). The old balancer was definitely in need of replacement but that is something I could have done so I'm not really happy right now.

Last edited by 07 Rescue Green; 05-07-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

I'm at a loss with my misfiring also... Over the past year I have changed spark plugs, coil, wires, cleaned throttle body, cleaned the sensor in the intake, replaced map sensor, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor. My symptoms disappeared when I took off the upper plenum, cleaned that out and wiped down the fuel injectors, but returned a few months later with some bitter cold weather. Now, when the ac is on, it shudders so bad at idol I'm afraid its going to stall sometimes.

I bought a intake manifold gasket last year that I still have to replace. I'm going to do that in the next few weeks...

I also know my exhaust manifold has that hairline crack... I tried to seal the driver side without taking it off. Would a cracked manifold cause a misfire?

Last edited by bakulatp; 05-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if a cracked exhaust manifold would cause a misfire, I wouldn't think so but I didn't think the balancer would either and they were sure that's what it was. I also have a cracked exhaust manifold but it is on the other bank from the misfire so I know that's not the cause. I'm thinking of picking mine up and pulling the ECM/PCM and sending it to that company on ebay. They only charge $70 if they don't find anything wrong and $130 to fix what they do find. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one and replacing mine, especially if it doesn't fix the problem. I'm also thinking of doing an engine swap but would be really pissed off if that didn't fix it either.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 Rescue Green
I don't know if a cracked exhaust manifold would cause a misfire, I wouldn't think so but I didn't think the balancer would either and they were sure that's what it was. I also have a cracked exhaust manifold but it is on the other bank from the misfire so I know that's not the cause.
It's on the list of possible causes, so you shouldn't overlook it.
Even if not the cause, it should be fixed anyway.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: Called today to see what's going on, it's been almost two weeks since I last talked to them. The guy I normally deal with went home sick so the guy I talked with didn't know the history. He went and talked to the tech and he said they were waiting for me to pick it up after the Balancer install. I told him that I already "picked it up" two weeks earlier and it was misfiring when I started it up at the dealership, so I left it. He gave me the line about needing to drive it so that the new balancer could correct the misfire, then he said the next step was to pull the head. I asked how could it be a head issue when it only lasts +/- a minute? He didn't have an answer for that. I suspect I'll get a call from my guy tomorrow who'll tell me he dropped the ball. Regardless, I'm going to go get it and pull the PCM and send it out to be tested/repaired. I'll replace the PCV valve and exhaust manifold while I'm waiting for it to come back. I know the 3.6 had head issues, did the 3.8? And if it is a head issue wouldn't it do this all the time? And the Saga continues.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Wow... That's pretty shitty of your dealer. Please keep us updated with your situation. I'm really curious if the pcm is the cause.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked it up on Thurs and the check engine light came back on Friday. I'm going to get a hold of the repair company on Monday to see if they've seen this problem and if they think they can fix it. If so I'll send it to them. In the meanwhile I started pulling the exhaust manifold, that bolt nearest the firewall was a bitch to get to. I'll finish pulling it tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I replaced the drivers side exhaust manifold and the pcv valve while waiting to hear back from the repair place, got an email today they couldn't find anything wrong with PCM so I'm getting the same one back which means within a couple days of installing it, it'll misfire. I've got to decide quickly if I want to pull the head or if I want to trade it in, maybe a new camero?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

On Tuesday I did a full tune up on my jeep... Even though just last year I replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil... I did it all again except for the coil. Pulled my fuel rail and swapped my #5 injector with my #3 ( I tripped a #5 misfire along with my P0300). Also pulled my intake manifold and replaced my intake manifold gasket, cleaned the intake, upper plenum, and throttle body with cleaner.

One interesting find was my pvc valve wasnt set snug in the valve cover... it came off in the hose when I pulled it off....hmm..

My spark plugs were grayish... seemed normal.

I also took the heat shields off the exhaust manifolds and put a nice thick bead of quicksteel high temp on the cracks that where there for god knows how long...

Put everything back together AND THE JEEP SOUNDS GREAT! I have zero hesitation now.... even when the AC is on.

Not sure what exactly fixed my issue but I'll take it.... Hope it lasts....

I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Another misfire post