Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Wheel Painting Process

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Wheel Painting Process

I'm planning on painting my stock rims with Rust-Oleum automotive wheel paint (black.) I was wondering if it is important to use primer before spraying the black on. Also, is a clear coat necessary after applying the black coat?

If a primer is necessary, what type of primer should I use? Would a self-etching primer work the best? Is other prep work required if I do use a primer?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on doing mine soon..... next week maybe?
Anyway I saw how this person on JK-Forum did it Spidertrax spacers / painted stock wheels
They said they used 320 grit sanding sponge from Lowes and paint with rust-oleum metalic "Black Night"
I do like there results
Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

I have painted wheels before, they never last & look crappy after a short period of time.

I suggest getting them powder coated if you can swing it. This is the second set I have had done on a vehicle & they always look as good as the day I put them on.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just did mine three weeks ago with the rust oleum use the etching primer greenish in color 3 coats the use 2-3 coats of paint i used a total of 10 cans on the wheels 1-1/2 cans per wheel of paint around the same on the primer also do 2-3 coats of the clear coat

Last edited by chris15005; 05-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Best advice is give the wheel a light sanding before priming them. Never tried the the wheel paint as the previous post but have had great luck with the rust-oleum ACE brand.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kupost
Best advice is give the wheel a light sanding before priming them. Never tried the the wheel paint as the previous post but have had great luck with the rust-oleum ACE brand.
I agree prepping is the key to a good finish i used a wire wheel on a drill to get most of the shine off the wheels and then i followed that up with 320 grit sandpaper all over the wheels. I did both sides of my wheels it took longer to prep then it did to paint them plus i had anextra set of wheels to ride on while i let them dry for 2 days.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Others have their preparations and procedures...here's mine. I hope this would help.

2-3 rattle cans of "WHITE" primer
5 rattle cans of Dupli Color Low Gloss High Heat Engine black enamel (ceramic)
Three types of sand papers 200 grit, 300 grit, and 400 grit. One type will do.
"Index Cards" to place in between the seam of RIM and TIRE. You only place this after you taped up the Tire side wall and wiped the rim with thinner.
Latex gloves (plenty!)
Gas/Fume mask but dust mask will do.
3" paint tape.
Clean RAGS
"Do not clear coat them and bling it out" It's fugly!!!!
Lastly dedication.

I'll try to be detailed on the procedures, but if anything you would like to ask PM me, BBM, yahoo IM...I'll try to help you out.

OK I had my tires installed on the rim inflated the whole time incase you ask. Ofcoure tire/rim removed from the jeep.

Preparation - Wash your tire/rim in and out. Ensure it's dry when you sand. I did 200 first, then, 300 and lastly 400.
This doesn't have to be "bare" metal. Get the corners, lug wells. The inside just rough it up no need to go crazy.
In the beginning you will find yourself cursing...lol..unless you've done some type of job like this before, then you'll know it will get easier after the first one.

After sanding, wash again and dry. Tape up the tire side wall and don't forget the TPMS. Yes I taped that too.
Wipe the RIM with thinner to remove OIL and Paint dust.
Then, you can put the index cards in between the seam of tire and rim making it look like a cone or funnel like appearance. This is to prevent overspraying the sidewall.

Painting - Once RIM is stripped and prapared for painting, you proceed with priming. This will ensure your black paint will adhere good onto the rim as well as preventing the aluminum from oxiding/corroding from any elements.
You only "burst spray" until you have even coat (almost making the mists fall naturally). Continously holding the button down and spraying will run the paint or have unven spots. Make sure your surrounding is clear! You move around the Rim and spray paint. The inside of RIM does not have to be primed. Just make sure it's sanded a little bit and cleaned then paint lastly with black.

30 minutes later...you can start with you black paint. "Burst Spray again". Anything you need to hit again the white primer will show you what you have left out.
After you're done with all of them, you can hit the inside of the RIM making it all black.
The WEIGHTS to balance the RIM are also painted. Don't remove or forget those.

Last edited by ajchiz; 05-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rims look great!

Preparation - Wash your tire/rim in and out. Ensure it's dry when you sand. I did 200 first, then, 300 and lastly 400.
This doesn't have to be "bare" metal. Get the corners, lug wells. The inside just rough it up no need to go crazy

Painting - Once RIM is stripped and prapared for painting, you proceed with priming. This will ensure your black paint will adhere good onto the rim as well as preventing the aluminum from oxiding/corroding from any elements.
I followed the same procedure as you using the exact same primer.. Its been about 72 hours now and i am able to scrape the primer/paint off with my fingernail.. I used 320 Grit paper and sanded the rim by hand for about two hours to remove the clear coat and then used acetone to clean... Did this happen to you, or is it possible the primer didnt adhere correctly to the rim

Last edited by Croce; 05-11-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01514.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	66474

This is mine. Used Duplicolor self etching primer and their satin black rim paint. Good results. Now need to wear out my rubber so I can get 35's
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Croce
Rims look great!

I followed the same procedure as you using the exact same primer.. Its been about 72 hours now and i am able to scrape the primer/paint off with my fingernail.. I used 320 Grit paper and sanded the rim by hand for about two hours to remove the clear coat and then used acetone to clean... Did this happen to you, or is it possible the primer didnt adhere correctly to the rim
Not sure where you live but humidity has alot to do with paint and primer. Also try to do this when the air temp will be the same for a while. i.e. not before the sungoes down if the temp really drops at night where you live.

Quick Reply: Stock Wheel Painting Process