Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone with the 3.6 head issue - how long did you know about it?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone with the 3.6 head issue - how long did you know about it?

I think my Jeep is having the dreaded head issue. Driving this week in some real cold weather, the noise seems to have gotten worse and it doesn't change between cool and warm engine temps. The noise has always kind of been there, real faint, and I resolved to ignore it until it became an issue. Based on watching Youtube vids of the issue recorded at idle, mine seems quieter than some, but louder than others.

The problem is, it's not an "issue" for Chrysler yet. The CEL hasn't set. I think I first noticed the noise around 5k and now I'm close to rolling over to 15k. I want to get this taken care of, but I'm not sure I have solid ground to stand on yet (I hate how it sounds, like it's poorly maintained or is some ragged out POS)

How long have most people experienced between first noticing the issue and having the CEL come on? Is anyone else stuck in faintly-ticking hell before the CEL like me?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey sorry to tell you, but my friend has a 2012 jku with the 3.6. His check-engine light came on, he took it to the dealership and they told him misfire cylinder 2. They order a new head to fix the problem. They told him at the dealership that the casting process was poorly done and that this problem is very common with this engines. Also i read that they were assembled in Mexico. I have read also that they had found 3.6 engines with the piston compression ring mounted backwards.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to chime in I have an 08 Jeep but drive a Dodge Van with the 3.6 motor. Had to have the left head replaced too.

It is one fast van and thinking of that motor in my Jeep makes me want to get a new Jeep.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 AM
JK Newbie

I had the ticking start at 4k.... no cel. Took them till I got to 24k to replace the left head. Only issue I still have is my milage went down since the replacement. Anyone else have that issue?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 AM
JK Freak

My 2012 JK has about 16,000 on it, and no problem so far. I'm just gonna keep wheeling it till I get the code. I will most likely clear it the first couple of times, so when I take it in they don't try to flash it to make it go away. So far though, I only hear normal engine sounds. They do click, and whir a bit.
You should hear the 4.0 in my 98 XJ, she rattles like a big girl. It has been rattling loudly for three years now. Plus it also has the famous cracked exhaust manifold. She still passes OBD II inspection, so the guy I take it to doesn't care. As long as it is safe.
I know these V-6 engines will never be as strong as the 4.0, but they should be able to take a little bit. The computer is going to be the biggest problem, if it think it sees a problem with something. If it won't pass inspection, then warranty will have to fix it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

23,000 before my CEL came on, misfire cyl 6, head replaced problem solved, yes mine ticked from day one now it doesn't
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25,000 on mine when it happened.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mine started to tick ~3-4k, but didn't get the code till around 18k. left head replacement took 3 days.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

I never got a CEL light or the computer flashed for this issue. I found out about it here on the forum watched a few videos of it and i realized i def had it. It started at about 1,200 miles on it took to the dealership three times... 1st replaced driver side lifters, 2nd drivers side head, 3rd the ticking had began on the passengers side. After this time i wrote chrysler a "nice" letter wanted a replacement vehicle or i was going try to file with the lemon law. We settled on them giving me a complete new 2013 engine ( not just the block ).

I had grounds to persue with the lemon law bc i had tried to have the problem fixed at least 3 different times. They tried to give me the run around at the dealership everytime, but i had to stay persistent and just kept on coming back, they tried to say that it was " normal Jeep sounds". Seriously though ??? that doesn't even make sense since they got the same engine on several different vehicles
Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2012 with 30k miles. So far no issues. Sure am a little nervous... Will be keeping a close eye on it.

Quick Reply: Anyone with the 3.6 head issue - how long did you know about it?