Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone with the 3.6 head issue - how long did you know about it?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ticked around 4-5k and got cel around 12k. It would clear itself before I could get to a dealer. So at 19k it was replaced. Drivers side head and took a Half a day to receive the head and about 6-8 hrs to get everything swapped and checked out.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 "Oscar Mike" and my check engine light came on last week, around 20,300 miles. I didn't have any ticking sounds or any performance issues. But when I brought it into the dealership to have the code read, the service advisor told me that it was probably a loose gas cap. That's because I told him that the light went on at about half a tank of gas and then when I filled up three days later, the check engine light went out. But I brought it in anyway to have it checked. He came back with the bad news that it was the infamous head problem. I left it with the dealership last Friday and they told me to expect it back today (Monday).

Since I was there getting the work done, I also mentioned that my clock was always running slow. So they are taking care of that issue too. But be advised that if anyone else has the slow clock issue, the dealership will need BOTH original keys to fix the issue. Otherwise one of the keys will not work.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like mine might be coming "due," then. I've also got the clock TSB on the list for when I have to take it in. I just wish the head would hurry up and break itself or do whatever is required to get the dealer's attention. I hear the noise and it's making me hypersensitive/paranoid. I just want the noise gone!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Just had mine done last month to my 2012 with 27,000. Drivers side head had been "ticking" for a few months before the CEL came on. Pulled the code and went straight to the dealer with a #6 cylinder misfire. The head was replaced in the same day. I did notice a slight decrease in fuel economy the first week(18-19mpg), but has returned to normal(21-22mpg). Guess the computer had some relearning to do.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

my 2013 (11/12 build) is currently at the dealer with a P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire) and they claimed it was the fuel pump but its been ticking since 1300 miles and getting progressively worse now at 14k miles.

the 2013 was not suppose to have this issue but i found out it has the 2nd gen AB heads from 2012 and the dealer is still refusing to do a compression test to verify that the heads are not the problem... we'll see how it does im sure the fuel pump didnt change anything and im driving 2200 miles from phoenix to wa and back for Christmas so im sure itll show something on that trip..

in the mean time im gonna keep driving the crap out of it till she blows up the my lovely extended warranty kicks in and they get to come pick me up...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

ugh, I have 24.5k now. I am sure mine will pop up the day warranty up
Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can anyone send me a link to these videos so that I can hear what this head problem sounds like? I have a 2012 with just over 10,000 miles on it. Really curious what it sounds like.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
Can anyone send me a link to these videos so that I can hear what this head problem sounds like? I have a 2012 with just over 10,000 miles on it. Really curious what it sounds like.

Thanks!
Just hop on Youtube and search for "3.6 ticking" or "Pentastar tick" and go from there
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

I was having a heat issue. Had the TICKING. and told them i think I needed the Cylinder Head. NO CEL. They did it that week. They said they ran codes and a cylinder 2 misfire came up. idk how that is without the CEL but they changed the head so thats that.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

The tick in my engine started around 5k miles and just this last week I finally got the CEL for P0306 which seems to be one of the more common ones. Sure enough the head of my car is bad and needs replacement. I will be getting it back on Friday. This issue seems to be pretty wide spread, I am pretty surprised that Jeep hasn't done an official recall yet since this seems to be a repeat of the same thing that happened to Saturn with the VTi transmission.

Quick Reply: Anyone with the 3.6 head issue - how long did you know about it?