Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone had this problem before?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I avoid dealers at ALL cost. Makes it easier being out of warranty. Outside of purchasing some fluids, not much reason to go there.
same. I would rather fix it myself so I know its right and the tech wasn't hungover
Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
same story lol. 2014 jkur 50,000 trouble free miles and then 52000 miles oil cooler housing started leaking dealer replaced under warranty, got home radiator started leaking at the bottom seam, dealer replaced under warranty, got it home and kept getting coolant smell and noticed a crack at the elbow in the tstat. went to get a new tstat as that would not have been covered, replaced it and traded it that night lol. It had a small crack in that casting circle just enough that you would wipe the pink away and a few hours later it would be back. not enough to actually leave a drip or anything. The good news is they are really easy to change and if you are careful you only loose a cup or so of coolant.
my oil cooler housing leaked at 50k lol. Now I have 52 and the t stat housing. So far everything is good. I wish someone made a metal or aluminum one. So I'm guessing my radiator is next haha I'll get a aftermarket aluminum one when it goes.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mijxof
I just traded my 2014, had the oil leak from the adapter issue and had my thermostat changed at the same time. Then a leak sprung in a top seam of the radiator. Wife said, time to trade, loved my White JKUR but happy wife happy life...now building 2017 JKURHR
happy wife happy life. I feel that brother. My wife is wanting a 17 as well. I'm still looking for the right one.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

So, I guess that is an issue with 3.6. I have a 3.8, replaced the thermostat and my housing was aluminum. I would look to see if anybody made an aluminum one.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OverKill
So, I guess that is an issue with 3.6. I have a 3.8, replaced the thermostat and my housing was aluminum. I would look to see if anybody made an aluminum one.
I've been looking. I think because the thermostat and seal are built into the plastic housing. If someone could make an aluminum kit and use a thermostat that wasn't attached they would make a gold mine.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaminLee
my oil cooler housing leaked at 50k lol. Now I have 52 and the t stat housing. So far everything is good. I wish someone made a metal or aluminum one. So I'm guessing my radiator is next haha I'll get a aftermarket aluminum one when it goes.
looks like yours is bright white too lol. check the bottom driver side corner.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaminLee
I've been looking. I think because the thermostat and seal are built into the plastic housing. If someone could make an aluminum kit and use a thermostat that wasn't attached they would make a gold mine.
I've not had to pull one of these yet. Am I reading this correct....that the housing, thermostat, and seal are 1-piece thing? You can't just buy a thermostat and re-use the old housing with a new seal?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've not had to pull one of these yet. Am I reading this correct....that the housing, thermostat, and seal are 1-piece thing? You can't just buy a thermostat and re-use the old housing with a new seal?
nope. One piece. Well the deal comes out but the bleeder housing and t stat is all one piece. Just like a Miata.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
looks like yours is bright white too lol. check the bottom driver side corner.
I'm fixing to go check now. I have no drips but if it does I'll buy an aftermarket one
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the thermostat does come out of the plastic housing and you can just buy the housing sans thermostat. There is a rubber o-ring vs a gasket which is nice. The updated version just looks a lot more stout in the area where mine cracked.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this problem before?