Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone regret trading hardtop for soft top

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone regret trading hardtop for soft top

Thinking of getting rid of my 2015 hardtop and swapping for a soft top. I've only had soft tops till this point so I'm familiar with them. My main reasons for swapping is storage of the top when not in use and ease of removal compared to the soft. Anyone do the same and regret it?
Old 02-02-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Soft top works just fine for me in both Texas and Colorado. The only time my hard top goes back on is when I move, or when I find myself needing to rent a uhaul trailer.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to ask why you'd need to have a hardtop when using a u haul trailer. Is it their policy?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohio79
I have to ask why you'd need to have a hardtop when using a u haul trailer. Is it their policy?
It's a weird rule they have. They'll only rent trailers to vehicles with a hard top.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Thinking of getting rid of my 2015 hardtop and swapping for a soft top. I've only had soft tops till this point so I'm familiar with them. My main reasons for swapping is storage of the top when not in use and ease of removal compared to the soft. Anyone do the same and regret it?
I've had Wranglers with hardtop only (two) and Wranglers with soft top only (two). While I unusually wanted to have both options from time to time, I was always happy with whatever I had.

I found a soft top to be fine all year for my needs.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about posting it on the forum to see if anyone had a stock or fastback top they'd want to trade. I like the idea of dropping the top at a moments notice
Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I thought about posting it on the forum to see if anyone had a stock or fastback top they'd want to trade. I like the idea of dropping the top at a moments notice
Sure. Both top options appeal in their own way. Should probably post a wanted ad in the classifieds section if you're ready to find a trade. Folks won't see it in this thread.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Have both. Storage is easy if you have a garage. Get a harken hoist and store it up out of the way. I run a soft too March through October. Put the hardtop on for winter months. I also store the soft top on the hoist when it's not on. The hoist also makes the swap a 1 person job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2908558714.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	636510
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Bought my Jeep with a hardtop and then a few months later got a first gen TrekTop. Hard top sat in the garage for about 15 months without ever going back on. Finally sold it and have never looked back. I'm on my second TrekTop NX now (hail damage) and love the versatility. Sunrider feature, Safari feature, and full top feature. Doesn't get much better. Only downside to a soft top in my opinion is the wind noise. Definitely not as quiet as a hard top, but my Jeep isn't a daily anymore so it doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I'd trade with you, but I'm in Florida , quite a ways From you. I want a hardtop, I drive too far daily for work. One day I'll get one. It will be no top most days anyways.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret trading hardtop for soft top