Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone regret trading hardtop for soft top

Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its personal preference. I had a soft top and bought a hard top for a trip (more security and quieter). Planned on selling after the trip and ended up selling the soft top. Im not a fan of baking in the sun. I like hard top and doors off myself.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah if I had a garage ceiling large enough I'd consider a top lift. My wife has a hardtop so I guess worse case if we need a hardtop for something we can just take hers. I'll kick it around some more. 2nd part of this is cost. The cost of a hardtop vs soft top. If I trade how much is the price difference.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andyman
Its personal preference. I had a soft top and bought a hard top for a trip (more security and quieter). Planned on selling after the trip and ended up selling the soft top. Im not a fan of baking in the sun. I like hard top and doors off myself.
What do you do with the rear window with the doors off. Do you let it rest on the spare or keep it in the down position
Old 02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Either down or open. The struts seem to be able to hold the window open while driving. No problem
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

I like the hard top with the hoist. Bought the thumb screws. The top comes off in 8 minutes, by myself and goes on even quicker. I'm curious if that's quicker then the soft top.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Sold my hardtop soft top is a little more noisy but rather have the ease of dropping the top year round where I'm at In Memphis didn't feel like I needed or wanted the hard top anymore
Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ohio79
2nd part of this is cost. The cost of a hardtop vs soft top. If I trade how much is the price difference.
I have seen Craigslist prices for the hardtops between 1200-2000. I would ask $1500 if I were selling mine. Soft, varies quite a bit. I have seen them for under 200, including all the parts and still in the factory sealed box. And then there are people asking 800 or more for their ratty used tops with rips and cracked windows.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a hard top when I bought my Jeep...but with it always being a two person job to remove the full top. I traded my hardtop for a soft top + $300 cash (That I bought tinted windows with). For about 3 years I loved my soft top, but I am now getting to the point that I want my hard top back. From previous bad storage, the front of the top is beginning to bow which is causing major wind noise, and some small tears allowing leaking.
I agree with other posters, definitely a personal preference. But if budget allows both I think thats what I am going to be leaning towards!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hijack alert :-). What is everyone's favorite hoist, lift, winch etc. to remove their hardtop. I plan to rig something to the ceiling of my garage and store the top there for the warm months. I see a number of them from various suppliers
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd jeep. The first two were soft top only. The current Jeep was hard top only. I sold the hard top for $1,400 and bought a new (take off) soft top for $600. I live in Indiana and I don't get what's so great about the hard top. I always thought the hard top was just a PITA.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret trading hardtop for soft top