Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
that is how mine started. No leaks visible just that burnt oil smell was really strong. then one day a few drips that were coming off my transmission hitting the cross member and then a few weeks later a full blown oil leaks running down the top of my transmission. I never did get the oil up front around the bottom of the housing it was all going back of where you could see from the engine bay.
manual or auto?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by neil4x4
manual or auto?
automatic
Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Update: The 1st 2014 Jeep JKU went back to the dealer due to the major oil leak and the fact that they tried to change the contract after we had a deal.

I just picked up another 2014 with less miles and in better condition. The 2nd on looks like the 1st one but it has the touchscreen stereo with steering wheel controls whereas the other one had $49 single DIN CD player and NO steering wheel controls.

Hopefully this new one won't spring an oil leak so I can start fixing it up soon and actually use it.

This is the 1st one that went back to the dealer:

This is the 2nd one:

I will update this thread if my 2nd 2014 Jeep JKU leaks oil.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Looks like mine just started. 62k miles.

I special ordered my JKUR back in August of 2013, have changed the oil myself the entire life of the vehicle. I always use a torque wrench to tighten the filter cap to spec. Mine just started leaking shortly after my last oil change - at first I thought I didn't get the seal correct with the new o-ring on the filter cap, but after buying a replacement filter with o-ring and installing it yesterday, I still have leaks with the telltale pooling at the base of the filter cap and oil running down my transmission tunnel to the crossmember. I'm sitting in a dealership right now with them diagnosing the problem. Will post up the dealership's diagnosis once later today ...
Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update 1

Dealership swore there was a transmission leak on the drivers side of the transmission. Even after I explained in detail to the service underwriter that I had oil leaking near the filter cap housing. They quoted me close to $2,000 in services and repairs including $465 to repair a transmission cooling line fitting (all was legit except the tranny cooler fitting). They did realize the $465 was incorrect - it was for a whole assembly and the associated labor rather than the $20 fitting. They did waive the diagnostic fee and were very friendly. I believed them (naively) that the issue wasn't oil, they didn't have the part in stock to repair my vehicle same day and the dealership is 56 miles from my house. I took the Jeep to a local shop where I am good friends with the manager - got my brakes done, transmission serviced, flushed, filter changed, put in a new optima red top. Here's the bad news - local shop says what I thought all along, but I began to doubt myself because the dealership techs are pro's, I'm just a customer ... the transmission leak may not be a leak at all. The fluid is coming from much higher than that fitting and it's all over both sides of the transmission - fluid doesn't run uphill. Issac Newton proved that a long time ago. The dealership tech swore up and down the fluid was transmission fluid. I also noticed when the Jeep was on the rack and they were trying to show me my transmission fluid leak, the engine cover was still on the engine - concealing where I thought I knew there was oil. So unless they'd looked there already and deduced it was not the source, they never checked the source at all - even after I explained where it was coming from. The local shop has completed all of the work I requested of them except for finding the true source of the leak. Once that is confirmed and documented, it'll go 56 miles away ... back to the dealership ... with written record from the local shop of the source of the leak and I'll have to explain again the origin of the leak as well as show them what I'm talking about. Will update again ...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sickstringc
Dealership swore there was a transmission leak on the drivers side of the transmission. Even after I explained in detail to the service underwriter that I had oil leaking near the filter cap housing. They quoted me close to $2,000 in services and repairs including $465 to repair a transmission cooling line fitting (all was legit except the tranny cooler fitting). They did realize the $465 was incorrect - it was for a whole assembly and the associated labor rather than the $20 fitting. They did waive the diagnostic fee and were very friendly. I believed them (naively) that the issue wasn't oil, they didn't have the part in stock to repair my vehicle same day and the dealership is 56 miles from my house. I took the Jeep to a local shop where I am good friends with the manager - got my brakes done, transmission serviced, flushed, filter changed, put in a new optima red top. Here's the bad news - local shop says what I thought all along, but I began to doubt myself because the dealership techs are pro's, I'm just a customer ... the transmission leak may not be a leak at all. The fluid is coming from much higher than that fitting and it's all over both sides of the transmission - fluid doesn't run uphill. Issac Newton proved that a long time ago. The dealership tech swore up and down the fluid was transmission fluid. I also noticed when the Jeep was on the rack and they were trying to show me my transmission fluid leak, the engine cover was still on the engine - concealing where I thought I knew there was oil. So unless they'd looked there already and deduced it was not the source, they never checked the source at all - even after I explained where it was coming from. The local shop has completed all of the work I requested of them except for finding the true source of the leak. Once that is confirmed and documented, it'll go 56 miles away ... back to the dealership ... with written record from the local shop of the source of the leak and I'll have to explain again the origin of the leak as well as show them what I'm talking about. Will update again ...
very simple way to prove it is not a tranny leak. Get fluorescent dye kit. put it in the engine oil and watch the underneath glow when hitting it with a blacklight flashlight after driving it around. any tech worth his weight in salt will have a fluorescent dye kit.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

very simple way to prove it is not a tranny leak. Get fluorescent dye kit. put it in the engine oil and watch the underneath glow when hitting it with a blacklight flashlight after driving it around. any tech worth his weight in salt will have a fluorescent dye kit.
That is what my local shop did. The leak was confirmed by them and when they called to relay their diagnosis they said it requires ... drum roll ... part number 68105583AA (the part number referenced in the original post on this thread).

A voice mail has been left with the service manager at the dealership requesting an appointment for tomorrow and confirmation they'll have the part on hand. Will update with how that experience goes tomorrow when hopefully this is all over.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi

That is what my local shop did. The leak was confirmed by them and when they called to relay their diagnosis they said it requires ... drum roll ... part number 68105583AA (the part number referenced in the original post on this thread).

A voice mail has been left with the service manager at the dealership requesting an appointment for tomorrow and confirmation they'll have the part on hand. Will update with how that experience goes tomorrow when hopefully this is all over.
actually should be 68105583AE
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

actually should be 68105583AE
AA was what my local shop looked up. I assume the dealerships carry the revised part. The service manager jumped in and I am all squared away for drivetrain warranty repair service tomorrow. All is well that ends well.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

AA was what my local shop looked up. I assume the dealerships carry the revised part. The service manager jumped in and I am all squared away for drivetrain warranty repair service tomorrow. All is well that ends well.
Tell the service manager you want a new sweatshirt for all the trouble from their miss diagnosis...

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!