Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deke
I'll never feel safe wheeling again! I'll have to carry a spare engine from now on, you never know when something may break. Anybody know of a spare engine mount that replaces the spare tire?

-Deke
Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

This guy creates profiles here, Jeepforum, and Wranglerforum posting the same sky is falling kind of warning with his first post ever. What an idiot. 1 part breaking on 1 jeep isn't grounds for a recall.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by towel33
This guy creates profiles here, Jeepforum, and Wranglerforum posting the same sky is falling kind of warning with his first post ever. What an idiot. 1 part breaking on 1 jeep isn't grounds for a recall.
Dude, how many people who take their Chrysler 300 to the dealer for an oil leak do you think post up on an internet forum about the issue? None. They don't know their dipstick from a hole in the ground, and they aren't going to be anywhere they couldn't call a tow truck anyway.

As I think I mentioned:

1) This is NOT repairable on the trail. This piece is buried under the intake manifold. It is a four hour shop job. What are you going to do, disassemble the entire top end of your brand new Wrangler in the middle of the desert? What are you going to do then?

2) Not a single issue with the 2011-2013 piece. None. Nada. Zero. This is obviously related to the 2014 redesign of the oil filter/cooler system.

3) We aren't even out of the 2014 model year, and there are already a dozen Wranglers that people have actually taken the time to post that they had the issue, as well as a couple of Cherokees and even a Durango. This is not one part breaking on one vehicle. As the weather gets hotter, and people pile the miles on their 2014's, there are going to be thousands of people with this issue.
The following users liked this post:
ogalarra (02-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by co-utah
1) There are 15 INTERNET POSTS where people were pissed enough to take the time to post that they had the failure. This is a tiny fraction of the actual number of occurrences. The 2014 model year isn't even done yet, most people have barely driven their 2014s, and they have not driven in hot weather in most of the country. 2) As I pointed out, there were ZERO failures of this part 2011-2013, and there is no reason the part should fail now, other than poor design or poor manufacture. It has no mechanical stresses on it, at all, period. The reason for the cracks must be thermal. As anyone who knows plastics will know, heat is the enemy of plastic, and if there are people with just a few thousand miles seeing this issue, five or ten years from now this will be a well known black eye on Chrysler's face. If you own a 2014 and go to sell it, people will avoid it like the plague unless Chrysler comes out with a new part, and does a recall. Who wants to risk a major oil leak on a long trip or a backcountry excursion?
15 internet posts MEANS 15 FAILURES. everybody knows the first thing someone does is bitch to the internet world about a problem.

What happened to the days when men had "a pair" and complained to their wives first? Or the dealership that sold them the "ticking time bomb"? Not anymore. First thing...start a thread about it on every relating forum in the world. Hell, for all we know, you probably started 15 threads about it on separate forums and now it seems like "15 related issues". Haha.

But, if it is a problem, I'm glad. The 14 owners should have to go through the some issues like the 12 owners have. Haha. It's only fair.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co-utah
Dude, how many people who take their Chrysler 300 to the dealer for an oil leak do you think post up on an internet forum about the issue? None. They don't know their dipstick from a hole in the ground, and they aren't going to be anywhere they couldn't call a tow truck anyway.

As I think I mentioned:

1) This is NOT repairable on the trail. This piece is buried under the intake manifold. It is a four hour shop job. What are you going to do, disassemble the entire top end of your brand new Wrangler in the middle of the desert? What are you going to do then?

2) Not a single issue with the 2011-2013 piece. None. Nada. Zero. This is obviously related to the 2014 redesign of the oil filter/cooler system.

3) We aren't even out of the 2014 model year, and there are already a dozen Wranglers that people have actually taken the time to post that they had the issue, as well as a couple of Cherokees and even a Durango. This is not one part breaking on one vehicle. As the weather gets hotter, and people pile the miles on their 2014's, there are going to be thousands of people with this issue.
From what I have seen so far, you're at least 4 of the 15 posts that you reference, I could easily see you being all 15. The way people are today, I bet that 100% of the people have posted at least once (or 4 times in your case) about the issue. There's 100's of parts that are prohibitive if not impossible to work on on the trail. Maybe you could switch to a 10 speed mountain bike. All of those parts are pretty manageable.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

The title pisses me off. I have a 14 rubicon with 9000 miles and it does not leak a drop of oil. change the title so you have some credibility. should read something like this " my 14 wrangler has an oil filter mount issue does yours?" Saying 2014 wranglers have bad oil leak problem kills cred.
Kojack (04-04-2021)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

^^X2^^ No oil leak issues with my 2014.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

No leak here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

12000 miles on my '14 and not one drop of oil or any problems of any kind. Love my JKU

Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No leak here
MessyOscar (04-08-2019)

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!