Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto door locks

Old 01-26-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
Tried that it didn't work
Multiple tries?
In my case it wasn't activated from the factory and it took me about 4-5 tries till it worked.
Just like resetting the oil change warning, it doesn't always work the first time.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I tried a lot of times. I'm going to keep trying every time I start it and see what happens
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it works...I'm out of ideas
Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I can set mine from the steering wheel.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '11BronzeStar70th
I believe I can set mine from the steering wheel.
That works from '11 and up I believe. He has an 07 though so stuck with the steering wheel dances and lock combinations
Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crusaderJK

Yea I tried a lot of times. I'm going to keep trying every time I start it and see what happens

I have an 07 and usually every couple of months I have to reprogram the locks. For this procedure to work you have to be fluid and consistent with the key cycling. When you insert the key you turn it to the second position (on), you'll feel it when you turn the key, and back to Off 5 times without stopping or pausing at each position. *NOTE* Do not advance the key to the third position and actually start the Jeep when doing this. On the 5th cycle, the 5th time the key reaches the "On" position, stop and hit the unlock button twice. Once you've done that turn the key back to "Off" for a moment and then start the Jeep as normal.

Do your locks work if you hit the switch, or have they stopped working altogether? If they stopped working altogether this procedure will not work and you have a larger problem.

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 01-26-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Needed Clarification
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK I'll try this, it seems a little more clear.
THANKS EVERONE FOR YOUR HELP
Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still no luck, going to keep trying
Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Still no luck. Getting pissed
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Still no luck. Getting pissed
Just to clarify... from the insertion of the key, advancing the key to position 1 is the "Accessories" position, position 2 is "on" (and the position the key automatically returns to once the Jeep is started), and position 3 starts the engine.

If your cycling the key correctly from "Off" through position 1 (You will feel this as the first click in the ignition cylinder) and into position 2 (The second click in the ignition cylinder) and back correctly it should work on early JK's. You'll have an indication if things are going correctly because on the third cycle of the key you will see your odometer turn to all dashes (------). That is a built in code reader that, if you stop the key at that point, will after a moment, show you any recent engine diagnostic codes in the form of a letter and a few numbers. If no codes have been recorded it will say "done". If you see those dashes on the third cycle you're almost there. Without stopping continue to the 5th cycle, stop the key in the "On" position, and pull the door unlock button up twice. This has to be done within a second or two of stopping the key cycling. Turn the key back to off for a moment then start the Jeep and drive a short distance until you reach 15mph. If the programing worked the doors will lock, and when you turn the Jeep off and open the door, all the doors will unlock.

Sorry man, wish I could be more help but this is as clear as I can type this procedure. If you were closer I would show you in person. Once you get it right once you'll never have another problem. The first time can be tricky. As I stated in my previous post, I have to do this procedure every couple of months. For some reason it just won't keep the program for much longer than that. It's been that was every since I've owned it so this has become second nature to me. It can be done in a matter of seconds once you learn how to do it.

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 02-05-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto door locks