Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Average alignment cost

Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $130 for my alignment recently. I live in San Jose, CA.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Assuming that the info on your profile is correct and complete, it appears you have no mods. That said, there are two things the alignment shop can align:
  • Toe
  • Steering Wheel Centering

Both of these can be adjusted in your driveway in about 15 minutes with a couple basic hand tools and a measuring tape. Here is the procedure on how to do that:

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Ignore the other procedures there because you've not replaced those OEM parts with adjustable components (assuming your profile is complete). If you take it to an alignment shop, they will give you a printout with a whole bunch of numbers that they cannot change unless you wish to add mods to your Jeep. It's a waste of money to ever use an alignment shop unless you have reason to suspect that you actually bent something and may need some (likely major and expensive) repair work, and you need that printout to tell help determine what is bent.
Thanks, I think I will hold off on the alignment for now until I get new wheels and tires.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds scary but the way I check toe (with mud tires/big tread blocks) Take and screw a small 1" screw into each tire 1/2" or so. Position 1/2 up and run the tape measure across. Do the same in the rear.
My home measurements come in less them on a rack about 1/8. I shoot for 0 or 1/16 in.
Just DO NOT Forget to remove the screws and drive off lol
Caster angle I use the 2 front flat circles on each side of the differential. Either will give you pinion angle. From pinion you get caster.
Steering wheel center --well duh. If you don't know how to center the wheel yet.. There's no hope for you just kidding.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Sounds scary but the way I check toe (with mud tires/big tread blocks) Take and screw a small 1" screw into each tire 1/2" or so. Position 1/2 up and run the tape measure across. Do the same in the rear.
My home measurements come in less them on a rack about 1/8. I shoot for 0 or 1/16 in.
Caster angle I use the 2 front flat circles on each side of the differential. Either will give you pinion angle. From pinion you get caster.
Steering wheel center --well duh. If you don't know how to center the wheel yet.. There's no hope for you just kidding.

good tip on the screws.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

I like the screw idea, I'll have to try that. Used a tape measure and chalk last time and such a pain in the ass.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Firestone where I live gives all us Jeep owners $30 off the lifetime alignment making it $149. I've heard of other Firestone locations doing that as well. I get mine aligned after ever off road excursion. Saves a ton of money.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Firestone where I live gives all us Jeep owners $30 off the lifetime alignment making it $149. I've heard of other Firestone locations doing that as well. I get mine aligned after ever off road excursion. Saves a ton of money.
Ehh my local FS wouldn't touch my lifted jeep. First it was balancing because I had 35's and alignment because of the lift. Unbelievable !!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 AM
JK Freak

I just cant see paying more then $5 for something I can do myself in 15 minutes or less. Mark D nailed it on the head, once again.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

As mentioned by others... I do not pay for an alignment on Jeeps. There is really nothing that can't be checked with an angle gauge like this one -> http://amzn.com/B00004T807 and a tape measure.

When I first lifted my Jeep I had my work checked and it came up all green... First time on the trail and I smacked the tie-rod. I got it "close" and took it in for another check. I had it perfect. Then, I purchased another Jeep and the previous owner had just had it aligned. I found EXTREME cross caster and a whole host of other issues.

The bottom line is: Very few shops understand suspensions or how to set one up. They just know how to fix/replace what is in front of them. There are many things that can be wrong and the alignment still come up all "green". (Hell, I had to show two shops how to adjust my synergy tie rod.) If you have a stock Jeep they know what to do (funny thing is there is little to do). Aftermarket parts... You are on your own!

BTW: The toe spec is usually in degrees... The tape measure spec of ~1/16" is based on a 32" tire. The larger diameter tires will need more toe to keep the same angle. For 37s I have had luck with 1/8"-3/16". This said, you will want to rotate more often for good wear with more toe. (I rotate every 2500 miles.)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jnabird333
As mentioned by others... I do not pay for an alignment on Jeeps. There is really nothing that can't be checked with an angle gauge like this one -> http://amzn.com/B00004T807 and a tape measure.

When I first lifted my Jeep I had my work checked and it came up all green... First time on the trail and I smacked the tie-rod. I got it "close" and took it in for another check. I had it perfect. Then, I purchased another Jeep and the previous owner had just had it aligned. I found EXTREME cross caster and a whole host of other issues.

The bottom line is: Very few shops understand suspensions or how to set one up. They just know how to fix/replace what is in front of them. There are many things that can be wrong and the alignment still come up all "green". (Hell, I had to show two shops how to adjust my synergy tie rod.) If you have a stock Jeep they know what to do (funny thing is there is little to do). Aftermarket parts... You are on your own!

BTW: The toe spec is usually in degrees... The tape measure spec of ~1/16" is based on a 32" tire. The larger diameter tires will need more toe to keep the same angle. For 37s I have had luck with 1/8"-3/16". This said, you will want to rotate more often for good wear with more toe. (I rotate every 2500 miles.)
Thanks for the reminder. I just fitted 37's prop need to toe in a bit more.

X2 with aftermarket components. Amazes me these guys get pay checks.

Quick Reply: Average alignment cost