Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Has your axel seal failed? Take the freaking poll!
Yes one has!
39.09%
Both failed!
10.29%
No, nothing yet.
48.35%
Whats an axel seal?
2.26%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Axel seal problem poll.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passenger side front leaking at 1200 miles with no mods and light wheeling.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both started leaking at 3000 miles as well as oil spewing out of the vent tube. They replaced both and then the pass side started leaking again at 9000 miles. Dealer replaced it again and the pass side axle shaft because they said it was bent. They also replaced the door latch assy's while it was in the shop and the door clunk is just a memory.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimscale
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer where the seal was replaced for the 3rd (yes, THIRD!) time.
wondering how much longer before I can ask that they order an entire new axle assembly from Chrysler.

This is how you know. This was after having the seal replaced once last year, then again shortly before this picture. the axle itself (not the outer tube) was also replaced just before this pic, thinking that the axle was pitted and causing the seal to fail.

If it makes you feel any better, I've just had my AXLE fail for the third time. Same thing again, U-joint caps are gone!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well add me to the list now. It looks like its either the breather or where the axle meets the pumpkin but there is oil all over everything. Into the dealer Monday it goes. The issues just keep on comin..
Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Driver side front bad too there goes my royalpurple

But wondering had my winch out so was getting over 3 in lift wondering if that created more vibes that made it wear the seal
Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

08 Rubi Unlimtd, bought new, it started leaking on front passenger side within first month of ownership (June 2008). I have had it in to dealerships at least 3 times in the last year. Last trip in the dealer replaced not only the seal but the front passenger side axle shaft. SO FAR, no leaks. I hope this was the answer. IF it leaks again, we are looking at a whole new front axle. I'm glad to hear that a lot of other owners are not having this problem. I was beginning to think that it was a universal problem and would last forever!!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

At my VERY FIRST oil change, they pointed out to me that my front passenger side seal was leaking. Got it fixed under warranty.

Several thousand miles later, leaking again. Again fixed under warranty.

Several thousand miles later, leaking a third time. Fixed this time at my expense, since warranty was up.

Now, leaking a fourth time, ONLY A MONTH after it was replaced the last time. I left it with the dealer, they said "It's just residual oil left from the repair we did a few weeks ago. We cleaned it up so you are good to go, no leaks."
I went to pick it up, looked underneath... Fresh oil dripped all over the front wheel. Made them look underneath in the parking lot while I had a few choice words for them. They stuck to their story so I agreed to take it for a few days "and see how it goes".
Kept leaking, so now it is being replaced a 4th time. This time the dealer is paying for it.

When it keeps leaking we'll have to get more aggressive with replacing parts, but I am sure I will have a fight on my hands with Chrysler since I am out of warranty, but this has been going on since I got the Jeep.
GRR!

Last edited by horwitzs; 10-14-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 sets over all so far in 39,000 miles in the front and 1 left rear. fixed front with

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=SA-EV33FSL

Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

I voted for having one fail, not both but I had the same side fail twice. All appears to be okay now however. Dealer has bent over backwards to make things right.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing yet but I'll keep on the look out for it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Axel seal problem poll.