Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle joints and axle seals

Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave
With no intent to hijack this post, as my topic is similar, I noticed my passenger side front seal is leaking as well, however it's not under warranty and I don't believe I have the skill to fix it myself, has anyone any idea what I should expect to pay a decent mechanic to replace the seal?
Thanks in advance.
Bump. I have this same question?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a dealer, I think it's about a $280 job for both seals. I believe that is what I paid. The tech has to pull both axle shafts, and the carrier out of the pumpkin. The seals are accessed from inside the housing.

I went through a similar fiasco.

- Had a u-joint fail. I tried to fix - failed due to lack of proper tools.

- Had local shop replace u-joint for me. Axle started leaking.

- Took to dealer to have them do seals. Axle started leaking again 2 weeks later.

- Dealer wants to replace the leaking-side axle shaft itself, and then do new seals, all at my cost. This is where I stand today.

Just been keeping an eye on my fluid level for the last two months.

Last edited by yo_marc; 10-25-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yo. Yomarc. At least you have 100,000 miles on yours. My 08 hasn't even hit 36,000 yet. And I have never babied a vehicle more than this jeep. Starting to regret that 2012 4 door I just got.

Thanks for the price quote. Good luck with your leak.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! Good luck with yours too.

I hear your frustration; I've had bad luck with other vehicles. Thankfully the JK has been my most reliable vehicle yet. Hopefully your '12 is a ringer! Been considering one for my wife.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had both of my front axle shaft u-joints replaced at the dealer. One of the axle seals started leaking bad about a week later. It was still under warranty, so they replaced the seal and it has been fine since. Previous to this, I also had ball joints done, so the axle shafts have been in and out a few times...probably messed up the seal.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Bump. I have this same question?
I had the same problem. Dealer here quoted me nearly $600. An independent shop quoted around $525. Both ridiculously high. I had the seals replaced for $160 from another independent shop.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone think this should be covered under my unlimited powertrain warrany? I'm the original owner and its bone stock. I haven't been home yet to dig through the fine print.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I dug out my warranty book and under Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Four-Wheel Drive (4x4) section:

transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed componets only.

Sounds like it should be covered to me. Now to try the dealer.

Quick Reply: Axle joints and axle seals