Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ball Joint socket and tools needed

Old 04-30-2016, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Do be careful you're driving them the correct direction. I may have struggled with one for an hour before realizing I wasn't. LOL. The pics I linked are correct.
I see how that could be a problem. To press out, the top joint goes up and the bottom joint goes down.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
There is a specific angled cup specific to the JK .. This will not be in standard balljoint press kit.
Boy, this brings back memories. I bought the press at Harbor Frieght and broke the press on the first one while my buddy was welding up the C's one the second side. Heating them up was the difference for sure. Second side was so much easier.

PS: Ended up radiac cut one of the Harbor Freight sleeves to get that angle you mentioned.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
Boy, this brings back memories. I bought the press at Harbor Frieght and broke the press on the first one while my buddy was welding up the C's one the second side. Heating them up was the difference for sure. Second side was so much easier.

PS: Ended up radiac cut one of the Harbor Freight sleeves to get that angle you mentioned.
I also bent the kit I purchased from HF. Rented one from O'Reilly Auto and it didn't bend. I didn't need a special sleeve? Not sure why? I drooped the axle as far down as I could get it so that I could remove the coil spring and didn't have a problem.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I also bent the kit I purchased from HF. Rented one from O'Reilly Auto and it didn't bend. I didn't need a special sleeve? Not sure why? I drooped the axle as far down as I could get it so that I could remove the coil spring and didn't have a problem.
My hf one is slightly bent, but still works. I looked into a snap on one today. My head almost exploded when I saw the price. $715. I'll just keep bending the cheap ones.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
My hf one is slightly bent, but still works. I looked into a snap on one today. My head almost exploded when I saw the price. $715. I'll just keep bending the cheap ones.

The one at O'Reilly Auto (or other parts stores) don't bend and you can rent them...
Old 04-30-2016, 10:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
You can see the one I used in the images I linked above. One clearly shows the part number. Also have the Chrysler/Jeep special adapters for the angled seat. It works great, and has lifetime warranty.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just to share my experience. My ball joints were put on a hold for a week since I didn't have the appropriate tool. The standard car ball joint press kit rentable from autozone didn't quite work. I was able to remove upper and lower with it as well as install lower, but could not install the upper with it. I needed a special cup with a curve cut into to so it would contour to the bottom edge of the upper C. I ended up borrowing a chrysler suv ball joint press kit from someone local. It was designed for all mopar trucks/jeeps up to 1998.
It wasn't perfect but it worked.
Prior to the suv kit, i was using washers as spacers but if you've changed jk ball joints, you'll find you only get about 1/4" of surface to set a washer on before it will get in the way of the upper ball joint dropping down into the C. Not enough to comfortably apply the force needed to press a ball joint.
All in all after getting the "right" tool it was smooth sailing.

Jeep rides better now, the little bit of slop is gone and it feels tighter. Need an alignment now though.

Sent while gazing at my Jeep

Quick Reply: Ball Joint socket and tools needed