Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Corrosion???

Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Corrosion???

Is this corrosion? It wasn't there the last time I was under my hood but it was today. Do I just clean it up or is this a bigger problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3916874374.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	598175
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Disconnect the terminals and dip them in a solution of baking soda and water.
Use a terminal cleaner brush to clean the inside diameter, and the posts.
Take a rag soaked in a solution of baking soda and water and clean the top of the battery until the solution no longer fizzes when applied.

Then, have the battery and charging system checked. You may have a bad battery, an over-charging system, or both.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do all of the above then if everything checks out good, and everything is clean, go to Napa and get some of their battery corrosion preventative spray. It is a lot like runny red spray paint but it will really work good. 1 can will do all your rigs for many years to come.
I swear by the stuff.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Do all of the above then if everything checks out good, and everything is clean, go to Napa and get some of their battery corrosion preventative spray. It is a lot like runny red spray paint but it will really work good. 1 can will do all your rigs for many years to come.
I swear by the stuff.
I've used WD-40 for decades. Just a quick squirt each oil change does the job.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was your jeep in a shop ? Looks like the remnants of post cleaner spray.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone. I will be cleaning it off soon. More research and your input leads me to believe this is oxidation. I will clean it off and take care of it.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsaylor1979
Thanks everyone. I will be cleaning it off soon. More research and your input leads me to believe this is oxidation. I will clean it off and take care of it.
Buy another battery, the post is leaking. It will return, clean the battery terminal with baking soda nd water mixed together. A brass bristled or wire brush will help knock off the remaining corrosion, buy one small enough to fit inside the diameter of the terminal.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
I swear by the stuff.
Look at the picture, someone has already tried it. In my experience I've never had luck with it, mainly because you can't stop the battery post from leaking
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My battery quickly had corrosion around the negative post and the cause was a crack in the case.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Typically corrosion means exposure to acid, that shouldn't happen with modern batteries. A good cleaning is certainly a good idea but I would seriously plan on replacing the battery. Like many components, the stock battery is nothing more than 'good enough' and should be upgraded eventually. It doesn't have to be a really expensive super high crank battery, just something that is better. Most part stores will pro rate your battery so when it fails they will actually refund a portion of your next battery purchase. Battery maintenance is one of the first things I learned in auto mechanics and even back then it was a dying service need (in common automotive design).

Quick Reply: Battery Corrosion???