Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best tires for ice?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's truly "ice" and not sleet or icy snow, I'd just stay home. It seems like when they get those storms in the southeast, since the locals really don't have the equipment to deal with treating the roads it'll be too treacherous especially if you're not used to driving in it, not to mention the other idiots on the road. 4wd will help on the ice, but stopping will still be impossible.

For snow it seems people love their Duratracs. I have MtrK's. not the best but my Jeep is built more for off-road.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billbikes
... It seems like when they get those storms in the southeast, since the locals really don't have the equipment to deal with treating the roads it'll be too treacherous especially if you're not used to driving in it, not to mention the other idiots on the road. 4wd will help on the ice, but stopping will still be impossible...
This year in Atlanta, they did a pretty good job on the major roads. It was my street, and hill, that kept me home
Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's what I remember is that I thought they had outlawed chains awhile back due to tearing up the roads and safety reasons. However, I was in a recent similar discussion and found this website.

https://www.thebalance.com/chain-laws-by-state-1361486

So it seems that chains are legal, as long they don't come in contact with the road surface.
Does anyone use chains or cables on their Jeep Wranglers?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eandras
I don't, but I live in the south. I do know there are many roads up north that require chains during heavy snow, and I don't recall seeing any exceptions for Jeeps.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eandras
Rarely, but yes. That's one of the reasons I like having some extra wheel-well clearance, to fit chains if needed. There have been a few times that chaining up all four tires was the only way I was going anywhere (think: solid ice sheet for a road). Up here (in Oregon), you are required to carry chains even with a four-wheel drive, and they sometimes require all vehicles to chain up, regardless.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dustdriver
Rarely, but yes. That's one of the reasons I like having some extra wheel-well clearance, to fit chains if needed. There have been a few times that chaining up all four tires was the only way I was going anywhere (think: solid ice sheet for a road). Up here (in Oregon), you are required to carry chains even with a four-wheel drive, and they sometimes require all vehicles to chain up, regardless.
Except that with "traction tires" (severe snow rated, Mountain Snowflake symbol on sidewall), under 10K GVW, not towing, and with 4WD is almost always good to go in Oregon (legally speaking). See https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp and search for "traction tires". I think Washington is the same.

I know chains can't be beat in some cases, but I go with the severe snow rated tires.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default AutoSocks

Buy two pairs of AotoSocks. They are easy to install and remove when needed. Throw them in the washer when you get home and they are ready for the next go. They get me up my steep drive in the worst of conditions!
AutoSock - The Original Norwegian Snow Socks For Vehicles
I use them on my Rubicon since Jeep says you cannot use chains.
I have GY Duratracks installed.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Except that with "traction tires" (severe snow rated, Mountain Snowflake symbol on sidewall), under 10K GVW, not towing, and with 4WD is almost always good to go in Oregon (legally speaking).
Well, yes and no. In Oregon, a four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle is exempt or partially exempt from the Chain Law if ALL of the following statements are true:
  1. It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
  2. It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
  3. It is carrying chains;
  4. It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
  5. It is not towing another vehicle;
  6. It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.

Not sure about Washington, I probably should check since I'm heading there soon.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dustdriver
Well, yes and no. In Oregon, a four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle is exempt or partially exempt from the Chain Law if ALL of the following statements are true:
  1. It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
  2. It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
  3. It is carrying chains;
  4. It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
  5. It is not towing another vehicle;
  6. It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.

Not sure about Washington, I probably should check since I'm heading there soon.
That quote is actually under exemptions, and even includes all weather radial tires. That's not the whole story on "Traction Tires".

Traction Tires, as defined at https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/traction-tires.asp include tires with the severe snow rating and studded tires. According to minimum chain requirements: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/mini...quirements.asp
In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains. For traction tire information go to Traction Tires.
The exception of course is conditional road closure. It's not an easy to understand set of rules, and it could be explained much simpler. Researched this years ago, pretty sure I've still got it right -- But please let me know. Rules and laws shouldn't be this confusing.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
It's not an easy to understand set of rules, and it could be explained much simpler. Researched this years ago, pretty sure I've still got it right -- But please let me know. Rules and laws shouldn't be this confusing.
I agree!

Having nothing better to do right now, I went back and re-read everything on TripCheck and did a little more digging. Seems that we aren't the only ones having this discussion; there is a lot of mixed information out there on this exact question.

So I sent an email to ODOT, and I specifically asked them:
"If a 4WD or AWD has "traction tires" (as defined on TripCheck) on all of it's wheels, does that vehicle really still need to be CARRYING chains in order to be exempt?"

They replied today:
"Thank you for contacting AskODOT at the Oregon Department of Transportation's (ODOT).
Yes, an All Wheel or Four Wheel drive vehicle may be exempt from having to put chains on in typical winter conditions and do have to meet all six requirements below:
Exemption #2
It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
It is carrying chains;
It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
It is not towing another vehicle;
It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.

Yes, you would be required to carry chains even if you had traction tires on all four wheels."

I suggested to them that they change the wording on TripCheck to state that although traction tires may be used in place of chains that you still need to carry chains.

Sounds like Washington is much the same, here's a good write-up on both WA and OR:

CHAINS REQUIRED might not mean chains ON

Anyway, thanks for giving me an excuse to research this again, it comes up every few years.

I'm not familiar with AutoSocks but I see they do meet the definition of "chains" in Oregon, if you have a vehicle that doesn't allow conventional chains or cables. My friends with Subaru's will like to know that.

I think we've officially turned this thread into a PNW Chain Law thread!

Last edited by dustdriver; 01-17-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Best tires for ice?