Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best tires for ice?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
<snip> It's not an easy to understand set of rules, and it could be explained much simpler. Researched this years ago, pretty sure I've still got it right -- But please let me know. Rules and laws shouldn't be this confusing. </snip>

Originally Posted by dustdriver
I agree! </snip>
This is hilarious! I'll bet a virtual beer that if I email ODOT, I'll probably get a different answer.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-17-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Here's what I just sent ODOT. Can't make the question any clearer.

Quoting ODOT at https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/traction-tires.asp

"In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains."

Is a vehicle specified above with traction tires legally required to also carry chains?

Please note that this is NOT a question regarding the exemption from chain requirements for 4WD vehicles under 6500 LBS that are carrying chains, etc.

This regards an internet discussion at https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-339146/page3/
and I'll be posting your reply.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default ODOT called...

ODOT called me this morning. It was nice to speak with someone and get that instant feedback and clarification from an old fashioned conversation.

Bottom line is that under 10000 pounds with Traction Tires, chains are NOT required to be carried. And it does not matter whether the vehicle is 4WD or not.

She mentioned that their website needs to clarify this, and that Traction Tires have a specific definition -- Studded, Retractable Studded, and Severe Snow rated which are marked with a mountain/snowflake emblem on the sidewall. See https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/traction-tires.asp

We also talked about the exemption for 4WD vehicles under 6500 LBS that are carrying chains, etc. That's a separate rule, and as soon as 4WD is mentioned people tend to immediately jump to that rule. Finally we talked about "conditional closures" in more severe situations where the requirements are set based on conditions.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's your virtual beer!

I'd be reluctant at this point to call them again, for fear of getting a different answer.

Wow. OK. So they told you traction tires on any vehicle under 10000 GVW are good to go and do not need to also be carrying chains? Good to know!

Then I wonder when the "exemption rule" would apply. I guess that rule applies for a 4WD or AWD under 6500 lbs that has only M+S tires or all-terrains (but not "traction tires"), like my JK and so many other rigs on the road, would still need to be carrying chains. BUT... if it had actual traction tires all around, it wouldn't.

Makes a good argument in favor of those BFG KO2's (with the mountain snowflake rating) I've been thinking about! (In fact, I just put some mountain snowflake all-terrain's on my pickup, and the difference is very noticeable; plan to run them on that rig year-round.)

Maybe this inquiry will at least help push ODOT to get the website information updated. Maybe they should just remove the words "traction tires" from the exemption rule, since having traction tires make the rest of the rule irrelevant, it's redundant at that point.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by dustdriver

Here's your virtual beer!

I'd be reluctant at this point to call them again, for fear of getting a different answer.

Wow. OK. So they told you traction tires on any vehicle under 10000 GVW are good to go and do not need to also be carrying chains? Good to know!

Then I wonder when the "exemption rule" would apply. I guess that rule applies for a 4WD or AWD under 6500 lbs that has only M+S tires or all-terrains (but not "traction tires"), like my JK and so many other rigs on the road, would still need to be carrying chains. BUT... if it had actual traction tires all around, it wouldn't.

Makes a good argument in favor of those BFG KO2's (with the mountain snowflake rating) I've been thinking about! (In fact, I just put some mountain snowflake all-terrain's on my pickup, and the difference is very noticeable; plan to run them on that rig year-round.)

Maybe this inquiry will at least help push ODOT to get the website information updated. Maybe they should just remove the words "traction tires" from the exemption rule, since having traction tires make the rest of the rule irrelevant, it's redundant at that point.

Agree with all of that, can't figure out why they haven't sorted this out on their website (and trained everyone to interpret it the same way). Years ago the large company I used to work for, with hundreds of company vehicles, had a difficult time figuring this out. That's how I learned, glad it hasn't changed. For years I've used the mountain snowflake labeled/rated tires all year, and they work great. I think they work better off-road in the summer as well, probably due to softer rubber or more flexible plies.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-21-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Better phraseology
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My BFG KMs finally got so bad I got some KO2s. They work great on wet roads. Now I can't wait for ice :-)

Quick Reply: Best tires for ice?