Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Bouncy" ride causes?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Bouncy" ride causes?

Ever since I switched to my new tires 305/75R16 Adventuro M/T, I have been getting a weird bouncing in my Jeep. The tires are all road force balanced. No warping in them either. However, between the speeds of 25(ish) and 45(ish) my Jeep does this weird bouncing thing. It's not rough at all. Doesn't jar you around, vibrate, or have any side to side motion. It's just a very gentle, soft and rhythmic bounce. It's weird because when I slow down or hit the gas the bounce slows or speeds up with the speed of the vehicle. However, right at around 45 and anything faster, like clockwork, the bounce goes away and it rides very smooth. Even on the highway at high speeds. Smooth. Really strange to me. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it didn't do this before the new tires, I would suspect the tires.
Tire places like to sometimes inflate the tire to what's on the side wall, 45psi, etc
First thing I would check is tire pressure, I run mine at 32
You may have a bad spot in one of the tires but first things first, check tire pressure.
If that don't work I would go back and explain what is going on to the tire shop.
Have them check it out
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ikaros
If it didn't do this before the new tires, I would suspect the tires.
Tire places like to sometimes inflate the tire to what's on the side wall, 45psi, etc
First thing I would check is tire pressure, I run mine at 32
You may have a bad spot in one of the tires but first things first, check tire pressure.
If that don't work I would go back and explain what is going on to the tire shop.
Have them check it out
I went through Discount Tire Direct. I've tried them at 27psi, 30psi, and 35 psi. Same results at each pressure. Put the Jeep on a lift and checked wheel bearings and axles. No play in anything. I'm inclined to agree that it's the tires, but it's just strange that they've been checked for any warping and checked for balance and everything checks out as okay.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Try and rotate the tires,see if it changes otherwise sounds like tires
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_Vol_Jeeper
... I'm inclined to agree that it's the tires, but it's just strange that they've been checked for any warping and checked for balance and everything checks out as okay.
So am I. However, suppose it's not? Maybe it's time to move past the tires and tell us more about your Jeep. That's what the profile info is for. Suggest that you fill it out.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a speed sensitive wobble. I've had many tires that were supposedly balanced correctly but would have a wobble or vibration between certain speeds.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
So am I. However, suppose it's not? Maybe it's time to move past the tires and tell us more about your Jeep. That's what the profile info is for. Suggest that you fill it out.
Here ya go.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

I'm just gonna take them in and make the mechanics re-balance the tires, rotate them, and bring the pressure down a couple pounds. I still have a hair of tread left on the edges to add to my contact patch from the chalk test I did today. If none of that works them I'm just gonna live with it until they wear out.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

A gentle bounce does not seem like it would be just tire. In what condition are your shocks?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
A gentle bounce does not seem like it would be just tire. In what condition are your shocks?
40,000 miles in. Probably a little over half of those are straight highway miles. Been off-road 4 or 5 times, but nothing super crazy. No squeaking and they rebound pretty well. I have been on the prowl for the JKRU w/shocks setup to get a very mild lift and might have found a set. I've actually been hoping it is my shocks as that would fix it.

Quick Reply: "Bouncy" ride causes?