Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken Manual Transmission Shift Lever

Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Manual Transmission Shift Lever

So, I left work Sunday morning, went to throw the Jeep into reverse, and the shift lever came off in my hand.

After a brief Ron White moment (It fell the $%^& off!) I dug in to see what I was dealing with.

I found the connection between the shift lever and the lever on the transmission was broken.

Has anyone else seen this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	S1eqeO7.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	566723
Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is that the adapter used for a bl?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Nope, no body lift, and no adapter. That's the factory shift lever.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

thats wierd as hell, looks like maybe the metal had a weak point in it and just snapped where the bracket was. that should be warrentied since theres no way regular use should break a non defective shift lever off like that.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
JK Newbie

Sadly, I'm beyond my warranty period. A replacement lever assembly cost $50 brand new, and it is a wicked simple replacement. One screw holds the whole thing in place, then you put all the boots and the console back into place.

If it were something more expensive I'd be more concerned with Jeep making it right, but for $50 it just isn't worth the hassle.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You don't think it could be repaired with welding?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 AM
JK Freak

self welding it might be an option if hes a welder, but if he has to pay someone, it might be just as cheap to spend the $50 on the new one to bolt in himself. definitely has to be a fluke deffective unit to have snapped off like that.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
self welding it might be an option if hes a welder, but if he has to pay someone, it might be just as cheap to spend the $50 on the new one to bolt in himself. definitely has to be a fluke deffective unit to have snapped off like that.
I'm thinking it was a fluke. I've seen plenty about the transfer case linkage breaking, but I've not been able to find anyone that has encountered this issue before.

It absolutely could be welded back together. I was kicking around the idea of getting some steel bar stock, bending it accordingly, welding it to the existing collar, and threading the other end, so that I can get away from the push-on shift knobs, but the fiance nixed that idea when the cost came up.

Learning to weld is on my list of stuff to learn, though. You can only get so far with zip ties, duct tape and JBweld.

Last edited by Haggis_Forever; 07-22-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Haggis_Forever
I'm thinking it was a fluke. I've seen plenty about the transfer case linkage breaking, but I've not been able to find anyone that has encountered this issue before.

It absolutely could be welded back together. I was kicking around the idea of getting some steel bar stock, bending it accordingly, welding it to the existing collar, and threading the other end, so that I can get away from the push-on shift knobs, but the fiance nixed that idea when the cost came up.

Learning to weld is on my list of stuff to learn, though. You can only get so far with zip ties, duct tape and JBweld.
now you know this simple isnt true, Red Green has been cruisin canada for nigh on 75 years in a van that is over 98% pure duct tape and JBweld........
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Well, if it was high quality duct tape, that'd be one thing, but I was stuck with cut-rate stuff from the office supply closet.

I miss my days in the sub force. We had this stuff called EB-Red. It was STRONG. It was strong enough that when you taped something to the tile floor with it, you stood a pretty good chance of the tile adhesive failing before the tape did.

Quick Reply: Broken Manual Transmission Shift Lever