Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I remove TPMS and just put normal valve stems on factory wheels?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alonzo98
Funny thing happened with my sensors. I have an 07 auto 4 dr and i took it to get the new wheels and tires put on. Told the tire shop about the sensors and had the new stems ready. Turns out my factory wheels did not have sensors....? We checked all the wheels and not one had it. I couldnt explain it, but it turned out to be a lot cheaper. Not sure why mine did not come with sensors.
07's didn't have TPMS sensors standard equipment. The govt. mandated that they be on all '08 and newer vehicles. Glad I got my JK in '07.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
07's didn't have TPMS sensors standard equipment. The govt. mandated that they be on all '08 and newer vehicles. Glad I got my JK in '07.
So if government mandated it, does that mean if you own an 08 or newer vehicle, you will have to have them to pass an inspection?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
So if government mandated it, does that mean if you own an 08 or newer vehicle, you will have to have them to pass an inspection?
You will need them to pqass inspections and to sell or trade it in. The fine in MD anyhow, is $500.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pnut
WILL the normal valve stem actually fit into the hole in my factory wheel ?
YES

I don't see why not.

2007 Sahara Wheels has normal rubber stems and the wheels havn't changed.

I hope that helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Ouch! That's why the TPMS comes with the gray caps. Not only so you know there's a TPMS sensor inside but so there's something that wouldn't react to the aluminum stem. You just performed a science experiment called "Bi-metal electrolysis corrosion"!

You CAN get rid of the TPMS Sensor if you don't mind the ding (x5 assuming you do the spare too) and can live with the butt symbol (_!_).

You can disable the TPMS with something like the AEV Procal, but that will set you back ~$129. May be cheaper to try to find a deal on Ebay for the sensors. Or live with the down sides. Your choices!

Oh thats good...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

In '07 half of production vehicles had to have TPMS. In '08 and after all had to. That means that most (all reputable) tire dealers will not work on your tires without TPMS mounted.

So if you remove them and you have an '08 or newer they cannot mount, remove, add or change your vehicle's tires without TPMS. I would suggest getting your TPMS fixed and maintain them with the proper valve caps.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
So if you remove them and you have an '08 or newer they cannot mount, remove, add or change your vehicle's tires without TPMS. I would suggest getting your TPMS fixed and maintain them with the proper valve caps.
Not true. The law requires the TPMS light to work, but makes specific provisions for removing the TPMS sensors. Here's the full text of the rule. Good bedtime reading.

49 CFR Parts 571 and 585
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays; Final Rule

http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_FinalRule_v3.pdf
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Not true. The law requires the TPMS light to work, but makes specific provisions for removing the TPMS sensors. Here's the full text of the rule. Good bedtime reading.

49 CFR Parts 571 and 585

You can think so but I've been through this with Big-O. Give 'em a call and tell them you have an '08 that you've removed your TPM sensors and need to have some new tires mounted..............
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

You can get parts from dillaircontrols.com
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

49 CFR Parts 571 and 585

This is from April 2005....maybe things have changed, or maybe it varies state to state....but in MD no way can you sell or trade it in without them. The fine is $500 if you try.

Quick Reply: Can I remove TPMS and just put normal valve stems on factory wheels?