Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cant extend seatbelt

Old 12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cant extend seatbelt

My steabelt is stuck retracted. I can't pull it out to buckle up..help!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

When my seat belt did that it was because my soft top allowed water to run down into the seat belt holder and would freeze. If it is cold where you are let the jeep warm up and see if that is the case.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Negative Ghost Rider--
Old 12-15-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's happened to both of the front seat belts in mine. I had to get out and yank on it about 100 times to get it to work for my old lady. I also shot the retractor with wd-40. I took my driver side completely apart, had it fixed, but upon reassembly broke a piece of the inertia thing off. I moved on to harnesses now.
If you can be a little careful, unlike me, you can take it apart and clean out the (I believe it's the inertia ball?) it gets gunked up with dirt/dust.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sure you have already done this. I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. I watched a passenger struggle and struggle a million different ways to get the seatbelt out. I started thinking to myself, "well now how the hell am I going to fix that?"

Turns out it was easy. I reached over and lowered the seatbelt by pushing the button and dropping it down like for a smaller person. That was the trick.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there mud in it? Whenever this happened to me on both front seats I took it to the dealer and got it warrantied. I don't know if just anywhere will do it since I knew the guy there but it's worth a shot.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Check Back In

Originally Posted by stevedolce
My steabelt is stuck retracted. I can't pull it out to buckle up..help!!!
Yo Stevedolce, what ever it ended up being be sure to check back in here and update the thread with the cause/issue and possible fix. That way if it happens to someone in the future and they search this thread they may find a solution. It's always good to close things out with a resolution. Hope you got it worked out!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep--a ton of mud in there.

Took seatbelt out(3 bolts..base of retractor, the B pillar and the seat itself).

Popped off the white plastic cover on the side and found a ton of mud in the pocket where the ball bearing is. Also lubed up the gear/ratchet mechanism. Took a bit of effort to line the spring back in the hole, but worked good as new.

Hope that helps!
Steve
Old 12-22-2016, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything seatbelt related is broken you can take it to a jeep dealership and they have to fix it by law. The same issue has happened to me twice and that is what the manager told me.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
If anything seatbelt related is broken you can take it to a jeep dealership and they have to fix it by law. The same issue has happened to me twice and that is what the manager told me.

**** are you forreal... I was thinking how in the is there no law for this... damn..

Quick Reply: Cant extend seatbelt