Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

change tire size or install a lift?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 285/75/16 Rocky mountain tires(load e) and I'm wondering if there the the cause of, what I consider, a rough ride.

Seems I can feel every slight bump and deviation in the road thru the frame to my seat. Wondering if by changing to duratracs( same size,also load e) if it will improve the ride any? I haven't put a lift on yet so still stock springs with rancho 9k shocks(set at 2-3).

The tires run at 28-30psi. I dropped them to 20 once (to drive on the beach) but you could tell my looking at it, they didnt bulge at all. I could also change to either a 15 or 17" tire.

Also since it still has stock springs, should I maybe put a lift kit on it(MC is what I'd go with) and see how that changes the ride before changing tires.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the community.

Thank you

Last edited by Jeep757; 09-30-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I think there's a wide variation in tire "stiffness" - In other words not all load range X tires feel or conform the same. Since those Rancho shocks are dialed down near the softest setting and the springs are stock, tires are about all that's left. Springs in a lift-kit are not likely to be softer than stock, and could be stiffer. You might want to double-check the tire pressure gauge just in case it's way off and reading low (and the tires have more pressure than the gauge is reading).

For comparison, below is a GY Adventure 285/70-17 load range E at 15 PSI rolling off a small slanted rock. Note how the side wall is bulging and rubbing on the rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140507_tirebulge.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	577924
Old 09-30-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I can see the bulge in the picture. I asked th is same question on another forum and someone mentioned that switching to duratracs of the same load range would result in a similar ride quality so I was hesitant to change it
Old 09-30-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jeep757
Thanks for the reply, I can see the bulge in the picture. I asked th is same question on another forum and someone mentioned that switching to duratracs of the same load range would result in a similar ride quality so I was hesitant to change it
Like I said before, tires can have similar specs and not feel or conform the same. Having said that, I'd bet that GY Duratracs and GY Adventures have similar stiffness, both are 2 ply sidewall in load range E, and both have the mountain-snowflake winter rating (which likely is a softer tire for ice/snow performance).

Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T

Like I said before, tires can have similar specs and not feel or conform the same. Having said that, I'd bet that GY Duratracs and GY Adventures have similar stiffness, both are 2 ply sidewall in load range E, and both have the mountain-snowflake winter rating (which likely is a softer tire for ice/snow performance).

Yea, the Rocky mountains are a 3-ply sidewall. Would that extra ply cause that much more stiffness?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jeep757
Yea, the Rocky mountains are a 3-ply sidewall. Would that extra ply cause that much more stiffness?
Maybe -- but you'd have to test it to know for sure. Perhaps driving on a test object like a hockey puck at 15 PSI and take a pic of both tires?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If looking for a better ride I would look into a C rated or maybe a D rated tire. The E rated tires are just too stiff for the light JK.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

I do have a local discount tire and they offer a

"30 Day ride guarantee

We are so confident of our top quality tires, if you are not pleased with your purchase in the first 30 days or 500 miles, whichever comes first, you may return your undamaged tires and exchange them for any others of equal value, or receive a full refund. No questions asked. What’s the gimmick? There is none. We just want you as a customer for life."

I could probably try out the duratracs in 16" variety and see how it does.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I ran E rated Duratracs with 18" stock rims and dropped down to C rated with 15" rims. The ride is now much better.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above, lose the E rated tires. They ride like rock.

Quick Reply: change tire size or install a lift?