Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Frozen Caliper Question

Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Caliper Question

My right rear caliber froze. The friction heated up my wheel to the point that my rim was too hot to touch and melted my axle seal. My new caliper will be in today. My question is since the wheel got hot, even to the point of smoking, could anything else be damaged? Could the heat have broken down the structural integrity of the rim, tire, or anything else back there? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine has ceased before too. I haven't had to replace anything but the caliper. I wouldn't worry about the rim or tire unless you are losing air.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scbesse
Mine has ceased before too. I haven't had to replace anything but the caliper. I wouldn't worry about the rim or tire unless you are losing air.
Do you know the cause of yours locking up? I'm just curious what caused mine to fail. I'm going to flush my brake fluid to rule out moisture in the fluid.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

It happens sometimes. What's your mileage? Have you replaced you brake pads yet? Many people don't think to give a little TLC to the calipers when they have them off for a brake job. Typically the sliders in the caliper start to seize and eventually get to the point where the caliper compresses but will not release all the way or enough. Then it's just a matter of time until what happened to you takes place. I've seen small fires start because people were too stupid to pull over when they smelt the burning.

It's not an everyday occurrence and for some people the caliper just keeps on working but they are a piece of moving equipment that should be maintained. So when your doing your brakes or getting someone to do them for you be sure to take a little extra time/ pay a little more $ and get those caliper checked.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
It happens sometimes. What's your mileage? Have you replaced you brake pads yet? Many people don't think to give a little TLC to the calipers when they have them off for a brake job. Typically the sliders in the caliper start to seize and eventually get to the point where the caliper compresses but will not release all the way or enough. Then it's just a matter of time until what happened to you takes place. I've seen small fires start because people were too stupid to pull over when they smelt the burning.

It's not an everyday occurrence and for some people the caliper just keeps on working but they are a piece of moving equipment that should be maintained. So when your doing your brakes or getting someone to do them for you be sure to take a little extra time/ pay a little more $ and get those caliper checked.
Thanks for the info. I'm at 59,000 (Mostly highway as I have a long commute) and this is my first brake job. The sliders are fine, the caliber piston was completely seized. I couldn't even budge it with a clamp.

Quick Reply: Frozen Caliper Question