Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine light flashes and sudden loss of power

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light flashes and sudden loss of power

Sorry if this issue has already been address, I did some searching but didn't see anything that really helped.

About once every 2-3 months I'll be driving along and suddenly my check engine light will start flashing and there is a sudden loss of power. However all the dash lights and all the visible electrical lights seem to continue to work. The only thing that seems to be effective is the throttle power. I'll try to accelerate but nothing happens, it just acts like its chocking on something.

If I'm in town (and of course it happens at night when the dealership is closed) I'll pull over and flip the battery switch (disconnect it) and flip it back and the problem seems to be resolved for another month or two.

This has only happened twice and I plan on taking it to the dealership to have them check it out unless you guys have a answer.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Next time it happens, check for a code. In fact, check now to see if there is one saved.

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s).

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The last time it did it was back in December or early January... If it logged a code would it still be there? I'm assuming it would and I'll try what you recommended as soon as I get home from my office.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I did the code checking and it showed the --done-- message. So would you recommend taking it to the dealership or just waiting for it to do act up again?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by P1Rh0
So I did the code checking and it showed the --done-- message. So would you recommend taking it to the dealership or just waiting for it to do act up again?
You could take it to the dealer and let them look for a code.
They won't do anything if there are no codes or symptoms present.

If it's running well now, let it go until it happens again.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if it would really be that good of an idea to drive the vehicle like that...especially if the check engine light starts flashing. I know that with other vehicles that I've had, a flashing check engine light generally meant a major engine malfunction. It would even state in the owners manual that if the check engine light started flashing to pull over immediately and have it towed in for service. Apparently driving with a check engine light flashing could cause serious and expensive damage. This happened to me before in a Honda CRV that I previously owned. I drove with the light flashing and next thing I know the whole engine started to shake and I had bent valves and damaged cylinders. It would have cost at least $2500 to fix, but I just traded it in anyways. Maybe check the owners manual and see if it says anything about a flashing check engine light... If it says to stop driving it, then don't drive it. I suspect that if it said specifically in the manual not to drive it and you continued to drive it anyways, they could possibly void any warranty you might have. That would suck.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 02-23-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I don't know if it would really be that good of an idea to drive the vehicle like that...especially if the check engine light starts flashing. I know that with other vehicles that I've had, a flashing check engine light generally meant a major engine malfunction. It would even state in the owners manual that if the check engine light started flashing to pull over immediately and have it towed in for service. Apparently driving with a check engine light flashing could cause serious and expensive damage. This happened to me before in a Honda CRV that I previously owned. I drove with the light flashing and next thing I know the whole engine started to shake and I had bent valves and damaged cylinders. It would have cost at least $2500 to fix, but I just traded it in anyways. Maybe check the owners manual and see if it says anything about a flashing check engine light... If it says to stop driving it, then don't drive it. I suspect that if it said specifically in the manual not to drive it and you continued to drive it anyways, they could possibly void any warranty you might have. That would suck.
That's good advice when the light is on and flashing.
And he said he pulls over when it happens.
The problem is, it's not doing it now. He said it does it every 2-3 months, and goes away after he stops driving and disconnects the battery.
The problem, the light, and the codes go away, meaning it's safe to drive again.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-23-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me. Just check all the battery connections and make sure there tight. Mine would come undone while I was driving and all my lights would come on and it would beep at me and power would drop but it would come back on in seconds.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by P1Rh0
Sorry if this issue has already been address, I did some searching but didn't see anything that really helped.

About once every 2-3 months I'll be driving along and suddenly my check engine light will start flashing and there is a sudden loss of power. However all the dash lights and all the visible electrical lights seem to continue to work. The only thing that seems to be effective is the throttle power. I'll try to accelerate but nothing happens, it just acts like its chocking on something.

If I'm in town (and of course it happens at night when the dealership is closed) I'll pull over and flip the battery switch (disconnect it) and flip it back and the problem seems to be resolved for another month or two.

This has only happened twice and I plan on taking it to the dealership to have them check it out unless you guys have a answer.
Look at the bottom of your throttle body next to your thermostat housing. The throttle body control sensor is right there, and the plastic clip that holds it on is exposed to extreme heat and sometimes comes loose. I fixed this by wrapping a ziptie around it and synching it down.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm still open for ideas but I'll check all the above mentioned...

Originally Posted by Ncossey
I fixed this by wrapping a ziptie around it and synching it down.
BTW, I've noticed the common "fix" to every problem is "use a zip tie to..." Is there anyone here who's Jeep isn't held together by zip ties?

Last edited by P1Rh0; 02-23-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light flashes and sudden loss of power