Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine light...an interesting journey.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light...an interesting journey.

Ok first a bit of background, I have a 2010 JK Sahara with 71k on it and yesterday I started it up, a very short quick rough idle and then the chime and check engine light popped on. Well I had to get my son to lacrosse practice so drove about 15 miles, no real issues. Drop him off and head to Advanced auto parts,check code and I had misfire on #3 and #6 cylinders. They suggested plugs and wires but only had plugs in stock, so I headed home and wore out the search function in the JK Forum. After reading many post, figured I would head out and get plugs and wires today. Still no misfires or drive issues but figured maybe it's time headed back out, different Advance no wire so I called O'Rileys and they had a set. Purchase plugs and wires and explained to the guy at O'Rileys the codes and he goes well it might not be your plugs and offers to check the codes again. This time only misfire on #3, no issues on #6....that's odd so we head back in the store he checks further and says it might be the coil pack. We talk so more and I explain no driving issues and he says lets go clear the codes.....They clear and no issues. We talk some more , I still keep plugs and wires and may put them in later. I have a 75k warranty and have a free oil change so my plan is to have dealer check things out.

The moral of this long story is I got lucky, the O'Rileys guy was willing to listen and was cool enough check a few more things out. That will be my parts store from now on.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope everything works out, cool that guy helped out...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue with our 2009. When cold it ran fine but once warmed up it had a misfire and threw a code for cylinder 3 misfire. New coil and has been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light...an interesting journey.