Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chriping noise

Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chriping noise

I have a chirping noise coming from the front of the motor on my early (Jan) built 2012 JK. I just got back from the dealer. They replaced both idler pulleys, and the belt. Got home, and it is still chirping. It only does it when it is driven for a while, and then only every now & then. Sometimes it is quiet, other times I hear it. I can't hear it inside, only outside in front of the Jeep.
I guess I am going to have to let it go until it does it all the time, or something lets go. I am really not liking newer vehicles. I do like my 16 year old Cherokee more every day. Going to look at an old YJ later today.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metaldemon
I have a chirping noise coming from the front of the motor on my early (Jan) built 2012 JK. I just got back from the dealer. They replaced both idler pulleys, and the belt. Got home, and it is still chirping. It only does it when it is driven for a while, and then only every now & then. Sometimes it is quiet, other times I hear it. I can't hear it inside, only outside in front of the Jeep.
I guess I am going to have to let it go until it does it all the time, or something lets go. I am really not liking newer vehicles. I do like my 16 year old Cherokee more every day. Going to look at an old YJ later today.
Could be your water pump finally ..common symptom
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 AM
JK Freak

I'll wait till it starts weeping. Looking for a reliable old jeep with a carburetor, because my son is going to take the XJ to College. I need something that can back up this new JK. Last new vehicle I will ever buy.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 AM
-

Just a thought.. could be your brake pads chirping.. this could be a sign one maybe needing new pads/rotors. The chirping would be coming from the brake pad retaining clips. If everything appears normal and nothing needs to be replaced.. dab a bit of red grease on the retaining /pad contact points.. Will have to do an inspection this weekend myself on the right rear.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Jedi

He said it was coming from the front of his engine, not his wheels. Worn brake indicators will chirp constantly, not intermittently. Possibly water pump bearings is my guess.

Sent from my S4 using JK-Forum
Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 AM
-

According to him, the dealer replaced a few components.. one would think that if the dealer did not replace the correct components.. the chirping would continue.. Many here have suggested a more in depth analysis of what it could be and my suggestion was geared more towards "Just a Thought" and by no means did I say that his issues "IS" brake related.. again, just a thought..
Lastly, chirping is one thing, squeaking or pinging is another.. when I hear chirping.. I think brakes.. when I hear squeaking, I think suspension or engine related.. So I think users mean to say one thing, but end up something totally different.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The water pump will make sounds like morse code. Probably saying replace me, and ignore the advice about worn brakes.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Today it was loud, and then went away. I am trying the AC on and off. Since I never use it at all, it might be mud or dirt in the AC clutch. I am going wheeling with some mechanics from the dealership this weekend. Hopefully it will do it then. I have my mechanics stethoscope in the back just in case. I still can't hear it from inside. If I try to record it with my phone, the normal engine sounds drown out the sound. It will do something somewhere down the road. Since I used to be an auto mechanic, I'll know before it does major damage. It is just maddening, because I can't chase it down till it starts to leak or something.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Went to Rausch Creek last Saturday, and several people heard the noise come & go. We determined that it does not change with the RPM's of the engine. As it idles the noise comes and goes. Most of us were thinking it is the electric fan. I took it to the dealer on Monday, and they are going replace the water pump when the parts come in. I guess they will replace the fan when this doesn't fix it. LOL It is all free anyhow.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Second on the water pump. I had the same "chirping" noise. Had a slight coolant leak at the water pump, so I changed it. Haven't noticed the noise since.

Quick Reply: Chriping noise