Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cleaning...can you wash down the interior...

Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning...can you wash down the interior...

I was out in the Dunes all day Sunday and got dust & sand all over the interior....LOTS OF IT!!!!!

Well I did the crime and now I gotta do the time...the time of cleaning it all up...

So what is the best way to do it? How do i get the dust off the roll bar pads....could I actually wash down the interior? I don't have power windows...can the dash get wet?

What do yall do?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I am not sure about taking a hose to it but when mine gets dusty I take a semi wet shami and wipe everything down. It seems to work for me. Good luck. Hope it was fun.
Andrew
Old 08-13-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blow everything with a compressor and then vaccuum. Then I wipe everything with a wet rag to get the statically charged dust off. I dont think I would take a hose to it either!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was caught with the top and doors off in a HUGE downpour and nothing (besides my ipod a phone) got messed up! i think that it's safe for anything to get wet inside, BUT taking a hose to it may be a bit too much
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use to spray the inside of my TJ (not the seats). Never had any trouble.

Only one way to find out for sure. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

I figured that I could actually get the interior wet as long as I stayed away from the dash...using the rain argument of Blackmarketg4. I wonder if the window vent on top of the dash actually drains somewhere else....that would make sense due to these things are made to handle an occasional downpour. I am just worried about the electrical, but then I thought about how these things can ford some pretty deep stuff with a snorkel....

I got the stock speakers which I plan to replace anyways, I just don't want to hasten their death for no reason. I wouldn't cry if I had to replace the radio either...I really want a Serius capable head unit....
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Jacks or Better - looks like they got some rain at green ridge? When I was up there a few weeks ago it was so dry and dusty with few puddles around. The dust almost seems to be worse as it finds it way into every possible place inside. But it looks like you had a great time!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha thats one dirty interior!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hose + Sand = cement that you'll never get off your interior.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

For the dash....a spray bottle filled with water and car wash soap. There's no pressure and it's more precise. It may take a while longer, but it's a safe way to go. The dash board is allegedly sealed around the electronics so that any water that gets in is diverted away. Where to, I'm not sure and how much it can tolerate will come down to trial and error. I wasn't willing to risk it. If some got splashed up or if I got caught in a rain storm, fine. But I didn't want to hit full power with a hose.

Roll bar pads...upholstery cleaner and firm (not super stiff, but not a toothbrush either) brush. Soak, scrub and vac.

Sand....shop vac for the big stuff and soap and water for the rest. Just don't be in a hurry to put the carpet back in. You may even need to Shop Vac it to get some standing water out.

You need to get mud out of the fabric peieces quickly.

A product I'm really starting to be impressed with is Oxy Clean. I've used it to get blue dye from jeans out of a pair of khakis and even got 6 years of grime out of my uniform brass. I'm sure it will also work for the upholstered pieces.

Castrol Super Clean is also a good product for grease and mud.

My cousin and I took my TJ on some gas lines as well as some river trails up in WV once. It took me three days to get it cleaned. I had to take out the carpet, the back seat, roll bar pads, drop the windshield and took the top completely off. We had the top rolled back and all that mud slid down into every crack and crevice. I even had a glob of mud 3" deep into the A/C vents.

Quick Reply: Cleaning...can you wash down the interior...