Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning ideas for mildew smell?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning ideas for mildew smell?

My jeep has been poured on a couple times with flash thunderstorms and rainfalls, it seems this time it hasn't completely dried out and I've got that gross mildew smell...what should I use to kill it? A fabric febreeze kind of thing?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

are we talking carpets? those id take out (depending on the weather situation) and SOAK them in febreze, let them air out for 2-3 days..the seats should dry quickly enough..mine have the couple of times ive had her opened up overnight with unexpected rain...i ended up getting the mopar floor liners so i just reach under and pull the plugs, take em right out and wipe down if i feel its neccessary..those carpets soak up a lot of water!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

seriously I hate the carpetting. Thanks man!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I eventually got tired of dealing with the same thing. I pulled out the carpet adn liex'd the tub.
Prior to that it was pulling out the carpet and using a shop vac, or letting it dry, pulling the plugs as previously stated and wiping down anything that didnt drain.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me twice this summer. Pull the carpet out or back or whatever to ensure the underneath gets totally dry. Febreeze the f*ck out of it and let dry...then Vacuum - very important to vacuum. Otherwise, the mildew that Febreeze encapsulates is still left behind.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank the carpets and give them a bunch of sunshine, the UV will kill anything that's making odors. If they are dirty, scrub them with Simple Green and rinse them with a hose. Then set them outside for a while. You'll be good to go. When you get tired of removing, cleaning and drying the carpets, roll them up and stick them in the house or garage!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Arm&Hammer makes an odor killer for carpets that's made for pets.

http://www.armandhammer.com/pet-care...-oxiclean.aspx
Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Remove the carpet and apply bedliner. Douse the seats in fabreeze.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default line-x

can't say enough about the benefits of a professional line-x spray
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
can't say enough about the benefits of a professional line-x spray
Agree, but for those who want to keep the carpet. No matter what the product is, if your carpet has become saturated, it will not stop the carpet from rotting away, and the smell will come back. The only way is to remove the carpet, clean and dry the floorpans, and I might even add give them a coat of wax while you're at it. With the carpets removed shampoo and scrub them, vacuum, then hang them to dry in the sun before you put them back in. Anything less and they will begin to rot from the underside up, as your floorpans begin to rust from the upperside down.

Quick Reply: Cleaning ideas for mildew smell?