Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cleaning up soft windows

Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning up soft windows

I purchased a used soft top with tinted windows. There are some small scratches and oxidation on the windows and I'm looking for advice on cleaning and removing scratches. I have searched around but didn't find any recent posts about this. I have cleaned them and tried lemon pledge as well. They cleaned up ok but oxidation is still visible and scratches of course are still there. Anyone have experience with Meguires or any other product? I have a power ball attachment for my drill, just want to find the best product to buff them with
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never used any sort of cleaner/polished for the plastic windows.. it's prob easier to just purchase a new set from Bestop.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

True, but I purchased this top strictly for summer trips and knowing it won't be perfect. Not trying to sink any more money into it, just want to get it as good as it can be for now. I run my hardtop most of the year.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Understandable.. Money is tight. Let me research for you.. or others should chime in here.

Hum.. try this:

http://jeeps.thefuntimesguide.com/20...p_soft_top.php

or this:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-wi...t-jp31507.html

Last edited by JeepersDigest; 03-26-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used magi ores and it works great in getting the small scratches and oxidation out!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NCJohnP
I purchased a used soft top with tinted windows. There are some small scratches and oxidation on the windows and I'm looking for advice on cleaning and removing scratches. I have searched around but didn't find any recent posts about this. I have cleaned them and tried lemon pledge as well. They cleaned up ok but oxidation is still visible and scratches of course are still there. Anyone have experience with Meguair's or any other product? I have a power ball attachment for my drill, just want to find the best product to buff them with
The Meguair's products are excellent. They have different ones for cleaning, polishing and detailing. Use a microfiber cloth and copious water to clean the windows first, then use microfiber cloths for applying the products. Go to the Meguair's web site to see all of the products they have available. My 98 TJ is on its second top, replaced in 2008 because the original fell apart under the sun. My windows have always been clear using the Meguair's products. I'm sure there are other good products out there. You shouldn't need to replace your windows unless they are badly damaged.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mopars product works ok. It doesn't seem to do much for the really fine scratches. But I don't know if anything can really get rid of them anyway.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specifically, Meguiar's PlastX, Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Removes fine scratches, cloudiness & stubborn oxidation. 10 fl. oz. squirt bottle. Use on: plastic headlights, plastic boat or motorcycle windows/windshields, convertible windows, hard plexiglass surfaces, and scratched CD surfaces. Apply with a foam applicator and polish with a microfiber towel.
I've used this stuff for several years and it was a real window/windshield saver.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
Specifically, Meguiar's PlastX, Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Removes fine scratches, cloudiness & stubborn oxidation. 10 fl. oz. squirt bottle. Use on: plastic headlights, plastic boat or motorcycle windows/windshields, convertible windows, hard plexiglass surfaces, and scratched CD surfaces. Apply with a foam applicator and polish with a microfiber towel.
I've used this stuff for several years and it was a real window/windshield saver.
I was going to mention PlastX as well.

I've never used one of those Power Balls (attaches to a drill, right?). The goal would be to not run the drill too fast or else you can burn the plastic with the pad. Nice, light, even pressure. Apply plastX by hand, remove with buffer. A buffing pad would be better than a power ball, because a buffing pad would be a flat surface.

When you're done, I'd recommend applying a coat of pure carnauba wax. Nothing with petroleum distillates or anything that says it's a "cleaner wax" (those eat the plastic over time). Just a nice light coat of wax to protect the pastic, and fill in any swirls or hairline scratches you weren't able to get out.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plexus. Discovered it for isinglass windows on my boat. Works wonders on that and my jeep as well. Sold at west marine or online.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up soft windows