Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

clock spring???

Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

''Are you sure you 100% sure you unraveled your clockspring? Are you getting lights on the dash? You would have had to rotate your lower steering shaft at least one full revolution or more with the gear box disconnected to encounter any problems after installation. Part of me thinks the steering shaft is rubbing against something or it's not situated in the firewall properly''

I turned it steering wheel anywhere from 3-4 turns in maybe each direction checking for play from the shaft to the steering wheel while the gear box was off, then when I hooked it all back up, while bleeding my gear box i hear alot of noise in the steering wheel. Crunking cracking type noises for I'm 95% that it's the clock spring, my air bag/ esp/ bas lights are all on and no horn. So like I said I'm pretty damn sure that's my problem. Now another problem I'm having is the wheel seems to be losing center like it has some play in it as your making a left and right turn, can this also be caused by the clock spring being broken?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ink42o
''Are you sure you 100% sure you unraveled your clockspring? Are you getting lights on the dash? You would have had to rotate your lower steering shaft at least one full revolution or more with the gear box disconnected to encounter any problems after installation. Part of me thinks the steering shaft is rubbing against something or it's not situated in the firewall properly''

I turned it steering wheel anywhere from 3-4 turns in maybe each direction checking for play from the shaft to the steering wheel while the gear box was off, then when I hooked it all back up, while bleeding my gear box i hear alot of noise in the steering wheel. Crunking cracking type noises for I'm 95% that it's the clock spring, my air bag/ esp/ bas lights are all on and no horn. So like I said I'm pretty damn sure that's my problem. Now another problem I'm having is the wheel seems to be losing center like it has some play in it as your making a left and right turn, can this also be caused by the clock spring being broken?
Ouch! Yeah you diagnosed it properly. No doubt the cs is busted. Do you remember cassette tapes and VHS tapes? The clockspring is like that but with far fewer windings? It's a plastic casing with an open plastic center that slides over the steering shaft. As you can imagine, that wouldn't cause your steering wheel to lose center. Maybe some drag as the ribbon tears to pieces inside the cs but not play. The CS is item one in the image below.

If the wheel has play then you're looking at the gear box (can be adjusted by the adjusting screw on top of it), the steering shaft, loose retaining bolt where the lower steering shaft meets the gear box, or some kind of trackbar problem.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 AM
JK Freak

''If the wheel has play then you're looking at the gear box (can be adjusted by the adjusting screw on top of it), the steering shaft, loose retaining bolt where the lower steering shaft meets the gear box, or some kind of trackbar problem.''

Once again, I'm pretty sure it's not the gear box, because I just sent it off and got it back from PSC. And the guy's there told me when it comes back it is just a plug and play from them, and I haven't done any wheeling so I know I haven't re-damged the gear box. Now the only thing I can think of from this is that after a few miles on the new gear box parts may have wore in a little and then need some adjustment from that, but I will but in a call to PSC later to day to find out if that's the case.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

i seem to have a clicking when i turn the steering wheel, the sound comes from somewhere in the steering colum, i think where the steering wheel rotates, im starting to think there is a problem with the clockspring but i have no lights flashing up.
Could this just be soemthing rubbing instead, a little squirt of lube might fix?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ink42o
And the one thing I was worried about is the air bag going off in my face if I pull the steering wheel myself.
I pulled my airbag when I installed my cruise control. It really isn't that difficult as long as you make sure to let the vehicle sit for a while with the battery disconnected. I let mine sit for an hour before I started work and didn't have any problems.

This write up will get you to the clockspring. Hope it helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...install+cruise
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as stated above. disconnect the battery. air bags have changed drasticly, they just don't go "off" anymore.

Quick Reply: clock spring???