Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clock spring

Old 02-22-2017, 03:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clock spring

I have a 2011 2 door JK. Yesterday I got a letter from JEEP saying that my clock spring now has a 15 year warranty, unlimited mileage. Must be a lot going bad.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cutter4292
I have a 2011 2 door JK. Yesterday I got a letter from JEEP saying that my clock spring now has a 15 year warranty, unlimited mileage. Must be a lot going bad.
I just picked one up at the parts counter yesterday. I have 5 years and 100k miles on my 2012 and they warrantied the part (and the install, which I turned down) including an additional shroud that's supposed to help but my parts guy rolled his eyes. Time will tell, at least they are replacing it .
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had two recall notices on hold for months. No parts available. I am trusting that FCA or the dealer or whoever will contact me when these missing parts are available.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cutter4292
Can you post a pic of this or a reference number that it uses?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I got the same letter for my 13.

It said that if the airbag light hasn't come on so far, that I shouldn't have an issue, but if I do in the next 15 years (from purchase date I believe) I'm covered. It said no action was necessary on my end unless the light came on indicating the part had failed.

It says it applies to 2011-2016 wranglers, and that if I had already paid to have the parts replaced I could be refunded the cost.

I don't see any reference numbers on the letter.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Husband and I both got the same letters for our 11 and 16.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I got the same letter for my 13.

It said that if the airbag light hasn't come on so far, that I shouldn't have an issue, but if I do in the next 15 years (from purchase date I believe) I'm covered. It said no action was necessary on my end unless the light came on indicating the part had failed.

It says it applies to 2011-2016 wranglers, and that if I had already paid to have the parts replaced I could be refunded the cost.

I don't see any reference numbers on the letter.

Happy Jeeping!
Well dang... I hope I get one as mine is already doing this and I have a 2011. Problem is I've moved so many times I don't expect that letter to make it to me. I believe I'll have to go to my dealer and see what they say now.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 and dealer told me the same
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave MAX
Husband and I both got the same letters for our 11 and 16.
I received this letter for my 2009 as well.

Originally, I received a recall letter for them to add some kind of dirt protection cover for the clock spring. Then 6 months later, I received the clock spring replacement recall letter.

I'm thinking if I keep on holding out long enough, they'll replace my entire Jeep as a recall.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Interesting development:

My steering wheel controls went out a few weeks ago. I figured at the time that I'd get around to it when I got around to it, had no idea what a clockspring even was. Fast forward to a few days ago when I happened upon a thread here with someones cruise not working and comments that the clockspring would be a likely culprit. Learned how the system works, went do my local parts dept to pick one up. The parts manager told me that it was a warrantied part (the service counter girl later told me the warranty was extended till 2026 or something crazy like that) and that he had one in stock for me. He also told me there was an additional part included in the warranty package, a shroud to prevent the part from failing as quickly. He did not have the shroud so he ordered it. Anything I order there arrives the following morning. I stopped in yesterday to pick it up and he told me the part was there, but he wasn't allowed to give it to me. Since it was a warranty part, it had to be installed through warranty service. Gross, but I brought the Jeep in this morning with as much disassembled as possible to let the butchers put in the new clockspring. About an hour later it was finished and everything works properly.

I never received a recall notice. Whether or not one will come in the mail remains to be seen. But I went to that parts counter, said the work clockspring and boom - swapped out for free. I'm not sure if the above is helpful, but I figured I'd update. And again, the girls at the service counter told me that for my 2012 with over 100k miles, the warranty was extended to 2026.

Quick Reply: Clock spring