Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch issue?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue?

I hopped in the jeep today push in my clutch to start the car and noticed that there isn't much resistance but the car starts no problem but then when I tried to throw it in to gear it wouldnt. Any ideas? 08 jeep wrangler
Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds like your clutch hydraulic system has a leak. Look for brake fluid around the slave cylinder (driver side of vehicle, a black cylinder about 6" long up on the side of the transmission with a hydraulic line to it) and master cylinder (forward of fire wall in front of linkage from clutch pedal). Slave cylinder leak may show up at the gap on the bottom of the bell housing.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it is a slave issue, buy the crown brand from rock auto. I just replaced my Mopar with another and it makes the same squeak. Mark is right, usually fluid loss and loss of pedal points to slave over clutch.

120k miles and my clutch is fine, slave just decided to spew fluid.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the responses so should I just go ahead and replace the slave cylinder and what kind of fluids are you guys talking about and how do i refill it? sorry 20 and completely new to fixing your own car stuff. I figured its time for me to learn
Old 06-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

The slave would certainly be the first thing I replaced. It's cheapest through rock auto as opposed to the dealer ($113).

Fluid- brake fluid after you swap the slave. Fill it to the brim because you will probably leak a ton of fluid when you're changing the slave. Safety first- wear glasses. The fluid will eventually stop dripping so keep that in mind as it drools down your arm.

13mm if I'm remembering right and there are two of them. The upper one holds a bracket that orients the line down to the slave- prepare to fight it. On the end of the slave is a little cap of sorts, do not allow it to drop into your trans. When you remove the old slave, there is an o-ring of sorts down inside where the line goes. Remove and reinstall onto the line, you'll feel it seat on the line, then put the line into your new slave and work it back up into position.

It's not "hard" but it is irritating and the space is a little tight. Dealer quoted me 4-6 hours and $1000. I had mine done and bled in 30 mins.

Bleeding- take your time. I got the best results from one pump and burping it like that- not many pumps then bleed. One pump, burp, one pump, burp, etc. Then I parked it on a steep decline with the brake reservoir (they share fluid) high up and filled to the brim. I let it sit for 30 mins with the cap off to help evacuate extra air....followed by a few pumps. I was doing everything I could think of to get the air to the top of the system. After the decline pumps, the pedal went back to where it was when it was new.

Patience is key for bleeding and again- fill that brake reservoir high because it doesn't fill the clutch master until you've got a certain amount of fluid- from my recent experience.......2 weeks ago.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

part came in today and i installed it but we were bleeding it for 40+ minutes and there were still air any ideas? i drove it and it feels fine but there is a slight creak.

*UPDATE* I hopped in the car later that night and couldnt throw it into gear without pumping the pedals a few time and slightly forcing it in. also my clutch feels like it isnt engaging until i push it all the way in?
Clutch definitely pulls more now but feels a bit different.

do you guys think I just need to bleed it more?

Last edited by Johnguyen15; 07-03-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Yes, bleed it more. Is your brake booster filled all the way to the top? The clutch pulls fluid from there but it has to be filled to the top for the clutch to pull it's fluid.
Aside from that, double check what I already wrote on what worked for me just a couple weeks ago.

The creak will probably stay with you, it's plastic on plastic contact within the slave. I'll get a warrantied slave down the road to see if it fixes it but I've come to live with the noise due to the design of the product.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue?