Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold start noise

Old 11-10-2014, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WilKJ
So i changed the oil filter from K&N to Napa Gold (this is what I have been using for a while), and the grinding stil there. I guess next step is the starter?
Can you get someone else to turn the key while you listen under the hood?

Another long shot: is your climate control mode selector pointed toward any of the settings that include defrost?
The defrost settings engage the AC whether or not the AC button is on. The compressor isn't supposed to engage until shortly after starting but having the mode at a defrost setting has been connected to start up noise/grind.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP: post a sound clip of the noise or be more descriptive. Engines and accessories make all kinds of noises when started, and can be temperature-dependent, among other things.

Every now and then I have a dry-start noise (a lot of rattle and ticking) in my 2012. If it's been sitting for a week, chances are it's going to sound like that for a second or two on startup. It's very brief and goes away as soon as the oil pressure comes up. Every car I've owned does this if you let it sit long enough.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet tried that since it is only in morning and I leave to go to work at 520am....

In my case is not a ticking noise, it is similar to leaving the key on too long but not as loud.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep has been at dealer 3 days now.
They heard the noise but since it is hard to replicate they barely heard it again.

I told them to remove the starter and take a look at it as they should be metal shavings if thats the problem. And he chuckled at me.

I'm about to call...

Called them and now they wont fix anything becasue it didn't do it again.....
With that I guess I will be replacing the starter myself...

Last edited by WilKJ; 11-21-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: after called
Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same noise

If it is the same noise mine also does it, a short high pitched wine on very cold starts, like below zero. I also had a 2009 dodge ram that made the same exact sound, and I also have a buddy that his charger made the same exact sound, so I just ignore it and have never had a problem. Seems like it's a chrysler problem, maybe the alternator?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the starter replaced, It didn't do it this morning at 19F.
Still want to try again.

I went to a mechanic and he said it was the starter. The dealer gave up on the Jeep and said just keep monitoring it....
Old 12-11-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haven't heard the noise again, so I will say that it was the starter.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a block heater put in during the summer. I've been using it if the temp gets down below 35 F and I must say I haven't heard the noise since. Also my oil isn't deteriorating as fast as it did last winter. I'm 4000 mile into my 5k interval and the oil still looks clean and fresh.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Info in 3.8L noises...

http://www.koiautoparts.com/professi....8_engines.pdf
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will save tgat reading. For some reason I always feel that there is an oil leak that I can't see.... Thank you.

To be clear, my grinding noise was the starter, and it has been replaced. The starter would turn and start the engine but it would stay engaged for an extra half a second.

I have had the ticking noise when starting also, but I have chosen to ignore it as long as the oil samples come out fine.

Quick Reply: Cold start noise