Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Complete soft-top removal in preparation for hardtop installation???

Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete soft-top removal in preparation for hardtop installation???

Hello- can someone direct me to a write up or video that details the steps for complete soft-top removal in preparation for hardtop installation???

I've purchased a local hardtop and will be swapping it on this weekend.... Just need the details on fully removing the soft-top and associated hardware.

This is for a 2008 2 door JK if that matters

thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

YOU TUBE IS your friend, basically remove the top and door surrounds, and clean overything good before installing the top
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've searched youtube high and low - lots of vids on lowering the soft top, and lots of vids on hard top hoists, but nothing that really covers full softtop removal and hardtop instalation....

The one thing I've been wondering, do the door surrounds come off for hardtop installation??

Although cryptic, I'm trying to read Jeep's online manual and there's lots of ambiguous information - really not making sense
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I am looking to buy a soft top, I have the hard top only. I am telling you this because I do not have door surrounds, so these need to be removed prior to putting the hard top on.
I have also done the search, but one for putting the complete soft top on. Maybe we should meet up and have a look at each others and work backwards.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guess I'll just wait to see how this thread goes, see if any good videos or write-ups turn up. Worst case, I'll take a trip over to a local Jeep dealer and ask one of the technicians for a tutorial.

Shocking with all of the resources on this site, that no ones ever done a video or write up on the complete soft top removal. Maybe I'll do it once i discover how its done.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It really is just the door surrounds and the 4 screws to detach the bows from the pivot brackets.

The pivot brackets can stay in place or you can unzip the fabric to access the bolts to remove the brackets.

There is a description in my '08 manual. even has a couple pictures.

Only "trick" is not to over-tighten the door surround knobs when reinstalling.

I wrap the top with a bungee cord to make it easier to carry to where I hang it (on ladder-hangers)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

To remove the soft top, begin by lowering the soft top. Take a T30 torx bit and remove each screw that connects the soft top assembly to the roll bar (These are the two rods that make the frame of your soft top, a total of 2 screws per side, 4 screws total). Remove the soft top, and place it somewhere safe for storage. Remove the door surrounds by unscrewing the large knobs at the top of the surrounds (again, 2 knobs per each side, 4 total). Remove the door surrounds by gently pulling them away from the roll bar. Remove the two plastic retainers on the tailgate that holds the rear window in place by either sliding them off, or pulling them off. You are now ready to install your hard top. Keep all the hardware together, and safely store everything until you want to use the soft top again.

To install the hard top, clean the surface that the top will rest on, from the entire back of the tub, and tailgate area to the windshield channel (Best to do this so the top won't leak). With the tailgate closed, make sure the back window on the top is open, and have a friend help you lift the top up (or if using a hoist, have the hoist help you). If you have a spare tire, make sure the tailgate is closed, or you can risk damaging the top, as the spare can get in the way while the gate is open. Bring the top to the jeep and you will notice 4 holes on each section of the tub. On the top, you will notice it has 3 holes and a pin instead of 4 holes. Line the pin up with its corresponding hole, and let the top rest on the jeep. Take the T30 Torx bit again, and install the 6 screws on the hard top (three on each side). If your car has the dual top option, plug in the wiring harness, and plug in the windshield wiper fluid hose at this time. Take the passenger side freedom top panel and place it on the top of the jeep. Attach the locking connector to the windshield like you would with the soft top. Take the screw with the large fastening knob and insert it into the large hole located near the passenger side speaker in the sound bar. Tighten it down. The drivers side installs in the same fashion. Turn the three black handles on the inside of the freedom panels (one located in the center to connect the two panels, one and the other two where the freedom panels and freedom top meet). I don't have any pictures, but i am willing to take some to show you locations if you are confused at all by my instructions. When I put my soft top on in the spring time I will be sure to get pictures of the whole process, though.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by ryanatthm; 01-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Are there any differences up at the windshield? Do you have to take off the soft top seal or change anything before mounting the hard top?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, the windshield seal for the hard top and soft top are exactly the same.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had 4 of these in the bag of assorted bolts etc. that I inherited with my hardtop... I don't see a mention of these threaded "nuts" in your write up..any idea what these are?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(20).jpg
Views:	589
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	267025

Also - the Jeep pdf suggests removing the pivot brackets from the roll bar - is this recommended / advised? do most take this off? Thanks

Last edited by BoxingAdvisor; 01-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Complete soft-top removal in preparation for hardtop installation???