Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Confused! JK Wrangler GT?

Old 10-16-2016, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused! JK Wrangler GT?

This is a long story,but I need help!
I bought a 2015 2 door new a year ago,and right from the start I loved it! It has plenty of power almost too much! Let me explain. I wanted a 2door, and 3.73 gears and that was all I had to have. It's all stock, except for no muffler and Rubicon wheels and tires. Now comes the hard to believe part. I can do 106 in 2nd and I haven't found the top yet. I can pull the wheels off the ground in first and second and have done so twice. I have 4-door Rubicon springs and shocks on it and it does rock back and forth very easily. I took it in for its second oil change and after four hours I was told that the service manager had some questions for me. He came out and asked me what mods I have done to it. I told him it was a 2015 and I thought you couldn't do any mechanical mods to it. He took me back to the shop where they had it hooked up to the diagnostic computer and showed me what the cpu in my Jeep was reading. I had no idea what I was looking at. I asked him what all this was about. He told me that about 1000 to 1200 JKs of my year mistakenly got computers that were for Challengers? and they think I had one of those! He says those will get between 340 to 350 hp out of the 3.6 that I have. I have never heard of anything like that before. His advice was not to let any dealership change out the computer for any reason because I would then get the right one for it. Other than the power it has ( I can leave Mustang Gts,Camaros, Challengers and others in the dust) I can't believe this. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2djk15
I bought a 2015 2 door new a year ago,and right from the start I loved it! It has plenty of power almost too much! Let me explain. I wanted a 2door, and 3.73 gears and that was all I had to have. It's all stock, except for no muffler and Rubicon wheels and tires. Now comes the hard to believe part. I can do 106 in 2nd and I haven't found the top yet. I can pull the wheels off the ground in first and second and have done so twice. I have 4-door Rubicon springs and shocks on it and it does rock back and forth very easily. I took it in for its second oil change and after four hours I was told that the service manager had some questions for me. He came out and asked me what mods I have done to it. I told him it was a 2015 and I thought you couldn't do any mechanical mods to it. He took me back to the shop where they had it hooked up to the diagnostic computer and showed me what the cpu in my Jeep was reading. I had no idea what I was looking at. I asked him what all this was about. He told me that about 1000 to 1200 JKs of my year mistakenly got computers that were for Challengers? and they think I had one of those! He says those will get between 340 to 350 hp out of the 3.6 that I have. I have never heard of anything like that before. His advice was not to let any dealership change out the computer for any reason because I would then get the right one for it. Other than the power it has ( I can leave Mustang Gts,Camaros, Challengers and others in the dust) I can't believe this. Anyone else heard of this?
i think you are high.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Post part numbers for the computer as well as software number. The true test would be up hook up a tuner and see what happens. If you truly have a challenger computer (hard to believe) then it wouldn't install a tune. Furthermore, you're telling us that the transmission will allow 106 in 2nd gear? Please be aware that your tires are not rated for that high of speed.

You know what they say- pics are worth a thousand words and videos, well that would seal the deal. Do you have any videos? I've seen Grand Cherokees lift the front tires pull the front tires off the ground.....but they're turbo'd pushing serious power.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd almost believe it but the max output from A Dodge from the factory 3.6 is 305 hp on a test stand. WHP is what is going to get the tires off the ground and the 3.6 N/A is not going to do that even with 5.38's and with a 29" wheel tire combo.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Where do I find the software number?
Old 10-16-2016, 02:07 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm calling BS although the new Ford GT only has a 3.5 liter in it and manages 600hp
Old 10-16-2016, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not calling you a liar but this is something I need to see to believe.
JK Enthusiast

Lol, whats is it April 1st?

Ok few things here. You say they are telling you you have a challenger computer and I call BS on all counts.

The Challengers V6 is only rated at 305 hp not 340-350 hp like mentioned
The car isn't built anywhere near the plant the Jeep is built so the screw up would be near impossible
With the Jeeps gearing I very much doubt your reaching 102 mph in 2nd gear
If you are running your JK at 102 mph you deserve whats coming to you when it gets away from you
Modr's would have already been going this route rather than bolting on super charges and they aren't.

So like it has been said, proof, proof, proof.

Last edited by Its-a-JK; 10-16-2016 at 04:27 PM.
JK Newbie

As I said it rocks back and forth very easy. I think it does it in second because it is on its way rocking back as I'm going to second. Also, the tach goes to 7000 grand, I have no problem reaching that, but I'm only there for less than a second. When it rains here in Texas, which isn't often, I use 4high on any hill or when there is a crown to get started.I rebuild 73 to 79 Ford 4x4s with big blocks,so I understand power. This is my first fuel injected little engine and little vehicle and from what I read on the web this isn't normal. I'm asking for answers not sarcasm. I have less than 12000 miles on it and the clutch seems week, this is why I took it to the dealership. The dealer suggested I used an aftermarket clutch that would be stronger than the stock one, but they will replace it with the stock one if I want.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:54 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

As I said it rocks back and forth very easy. I think it does it in second because it is on its way rocking back as I'm going to second. Also, the tach goes to 7000 grand, I have no problem reaching that, but I'm only there for less than a second. When it rains here in Texas, which isn't often, I use 4high on any hill or when there is a crown to get started.I rebuild 73 to 79 Ford 4x4s with big blocks,so I understand power. This is my first fuel injected little engine and little vehicle and from what I read on the web this isn't normal. I'm asking for answers not sarcasm. I have less than 12000 miles on it and the clutch seems week, this is why I took it to the dealership. The dealer suggested I used an aftermarket clutch that would be stronger than the stock one, but they will replace it with the stock one if I want.

I sense a troll

Quick Reply: Confused! JK Wrangler GT?