Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Which coolant to buy?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Maybe you got lucky. Why take the risk? Maybe save $10 and risk damaging your cooling system & engine? The disastrous results of mixing two different types in our jeeps has been well documented.
I don't think I got lucky. Maybe a few people got unlucky instead?

It is more convenient to get it from an auto parts store that is 5 minutes away from my house and I go there for other things too. Never being to a dealer. Maybe once a decade ago or more.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKBud
ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!!

Found this thread when I was looking for the same thing. Pretty sure I topped off my coolant the gold prestone bottle probably more than a year ago and haven't noticed any difference.
Maybe if you mix those specific 2. I trust independent antifreeze makers more than what dealers say, who are just there to pump your cash out. The stuff sold in stores never gave me problems, and I don't expect it to since it's compatible with all makes and models and antifreeze colors.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

once my warente is up im just gonna flush and fill with prestone universal i use in all my other vehicles.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
I don't think I got lucky. Maybe a few people got unlucky instead? It is more convenient to get it from an auto parts store that is 5 minutes away from my house and I go there for other things too. Never being to a dealer. Maybe once a decade ago or more.
This article says that if you mix 17% or more of non compatible coolants corrosion can result. So maybe a little topping off isn't bad, but if you hit the 17% mark your corrosion may accelerate. The article also talks about how the different coolants provide protection of the metal and that cavitation in the system is a huge consideration.
http://articles.sae.org/11284/
Old 05-27-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default mines coming up on 5 years

this coming fall , what is the procedures you guys are going with on flushing
if only one gallon comes out of the system . it seems like guess work to flush with distilled water 9 times and then try and figure the correct mix ratio to then add to the remaining water left in the engine . I was thinking of dumping the stuff that comes out and then adding the same amount of new coolant . Is there any better way ? what a pita. rather than mess up the current mixture it seems like the easy way to me and then maybe a week later do it over again. It would be mostly new coolant mixed with some minor orig coolant .
whats the problem with that ? its still good.
the old days we never flushed it out unless it was so dark brown it looked like coffee

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-27-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Zerex makes a G05 antifreeze that is HOAT and Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines. Here is their web page for it, valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10, just add the w's on the front end.
Ditto, this stuff is great, also use it in my 2002 F-250 7.3
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

How to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS161bBwznQ
Old 05-28-2016, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the correct water!!!! Very important!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spartan99
Use the correct water!!!! Very important!
Really? Why is that so important?

My thought on the recommendation to use "distilled" water was try to avoid saying use tap water, where I feel the concern there is that a lot of tap water such as "Well Water" tends to have a lot of iron in it which causes rust. I'm currently planning on using my good ole "City Water" from my garden hose which doesn't have those rusting concerns.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I just want to say F you to these guys with this guide and their stubby bumper. Removing the grill hardly helps at all to access that radiator drain plug. It's best to go at that plug by removing the front skid plate/air dam under the bumper to be able to reach that drain plug. I considering just pulling the lower hose, but that thing looks like it's mounted half-way up the radiator instead of at the bottom.

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Quick Reply: Which coolant to buy?